Mi Puerto Rico
- Mi Puerto Rico
- Producing Organization
- Ortiz/Simon Productions (Firm)
- Contributing Organization
- The Walter J. Brown Media Archives & Peabody Awards Collection at the University of Georgia (Athens, Georgia)
- AAPB ID
- Program Description
- "On March 1, 1954, four Puerto Rican Nacionalistas, led by a 28-year-old woman, entered the United States House of Representatives and drew pistols. Screaming 'Puerto Rico is not free' they opened fire. Before they were subdued, five Congressmen lay wounded. Four years earlier, on November 1, 1950, two other Nacionalistas attempted to assassinate President Harry Truman. During this attack, a Blair House guard was killed and a Nationalist collaborator was shot to death. "Although they are folk heroes to many Puerto Ricans, most Americans know next to nothing about the people who committed these acts of violence, and very little about the long and complex relationship between the United States and Puerto Rico, a relationship preceded by centuries of Spanish colonialism. "As one PBS viewer wrote: 'For many, MI PUERTO RICO will serve as a springboard for the rediscovery, and in some cases discovery of our heritage and culture.' By including interviews with Puerto Rican and American historians, witnesses to key historical events and current political figures, produced on location in Puerto Rico, New York, and Washington, D.C., MI PUERTO RICO provides audiences for the first time, with the full range of political perspectives Puerto Ricans embrace and the rich cultural traditions they share. Rare archival films, photographs, newsreels and location scenes combined with narration and voice-over featuring excerpts from Puerto Rican and American poetry, literature and journalism, create a historical framework revealing the remarkable stories of the island's revolutionaries and abolitionists, poets and politicians, whose struggle for national identity unfolds with the dramatic history of relations between Puerto Rico and the United States."--1996 Peabody Awards entry form.
- Broadcast Date
- Asset type
- Media type
- Moving Image
Artist: Sanchez, Juan
Co-Producer: Avilés, Sabrina
Director: Simon, Sharon
Director of Photographer: Banks, Dasal
Editor: Eddy, Julia Dixon
Narrator: Ortiz, Raquel
Producer: Simon, Sharon
Producer: Ortiz, Raquel
Producing Organization: Ortiz/Simon Productions (Firm)
Writer: Eddy, Julia Dixon
Writer: Ortiz, Raquel
Writer: Simon, Sharon
- AAPB Contributor Holdings
The Walter J. Brown Media Archives & Peabody Awards Collection at the
University of Georgia
Identifier: cpb-aacip-31892aecc1a (Filename)
If you have a copy of this asset and would like us to add it to our catalog, please contact us.
- Chicago: “Mi Puerto Rico,” 1996-01-16, The Walter J. Brown Media Archives & Peabody Awards Collection at the University of Georgia, American Archive of Public Broadcasting (GBH and the Library of Congress), Boston, MA and Washington, DC, accessed October 1, 2023, http://americanarchive.org/catalog/cpb-aacip-526-gt5fb4xr26.
- MLA: “Mi Puerto Rico.” 1996-01-16. The Walter J. Brown Media Archives & Peabody Awards Collection at the University of Georgia, American Archive of Public Broadcasting (GBH and the Library of Congress), Boston, MA and Washington, DC. Web. October 1, 2023. <http://americanarchive.org/catalog/cpb-aacip-526-gt5fb4xr26>.
- APA: Mi Puerto Rico. Boston, MA: The Walter J. Brown Media Archives & Peabody Awards Collection at the University of Georgia, American Archive of Public Broadcasting (GBH and the Library of Congress), Boston, MA and Washington, DC. Retrieved from http://americanarchive.org/catalog/cpb-aacip-526-gt5fb4xr26