BackStory; Banned: A History of Censorship
- Banned: A History of Censorship
- Producing Organization
- Contributing Organization
- BackStory (Charlottesville, Virginia)
- AAPB ID
If you have more information about this item than what is given here, we want to know! Contact us, indicating the AAPB ID (cpb-aacip/532-nk3610x637).
- September 27 marks the beginning of Banned Books Week, an annual event celebrating literature and the freedom to read, by highlighting and exploring efforts around the country to remove or restrict access to certain books. Indeed, Americans have sought to censor all kinds of things: music, radio, TV, and film have also run up against assumed limits on what is acceptable to say or portray. In this episode, Peter, Ed, and Brian offer an uncut account of censorship in American politics, media, and culture - from rules designed to prevent the discussion of controversial subjects ranging from slavery to sex via the mail, to Hollywood's production code and censorship today. Recalling materials and individuals that have been suppressed or once incurred a censor's wrath, we explore how the line between free speech and censorship has changed over time.
- Asset type
- Copyright Virginia Foundation for the Humanities and Public Policy. With the exception of third party-owned material that may be contained within this program, this content islicensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 4.0 InternationalLicense (https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/).
- Media type
Producing Organization: BackStory
- AAPB Contributor Holdings
Identifier: Banned_A_History_of_Censorship (BackStory)
Format: Hard Drive
Identifier: cpb-aacip-532-nk3610x637.mp3 (mediainfo)
If you have a copy of this asset and would like us to add it to our catalog, please contact us.
- Chicago: “BackStory; Banned: A History of Censorship,” 2015-00-00, BackStory, American Archive of Public Broadcasting (WGBH and the Library of Congress), Boston, MA and Washington, DC, accessed April 7, 2020, http://americanarchive.org/catalog/cpb-aacip_532-nk3610x637.
- MLA: “BackStory; Banned: A History of Censorship.” 2015-00-00. BackStory, American Archive of Public Broadcasting (WGBH and the Library of Congress), Boston, MA and Washington, DC. Web. April 7, 2020. <http://americanarchive.org/catalog/cpb-aacip_532-nk3610x637>.
- APA: BackStory; Banned: A History of Censorship. Boston, MA: BackStory, American Archive of Public Broadcasting (WGBH and the Library of Congress), Boston, MA and Washington, DC. Retrieved from http://americanarchive.org/catalog/cpb-aacip_532-nk3610x637