The Civil War; Interviews with Barbara Fields
- The Civil War
- Raw Footage
- Interviews with Barbara Fields
- Producing Organization
- Florentine Films
- Ken Burns - Florentine Films
- Contributing Organization
- Ken Burns - Florentine Films (Walpole, New Hampshire)
- AAPB ID
If you have more information about this item than what is given here, we want to know! Contact us, indicating the AAPB ID (cpb-aacip/509-2r3nv99t98).
- This is raw footage of an interview that Ken Burns conducted with professor Barbara Fields for his film, The Civil War. The interview is in two parts. The first takes place on January 14, 1987 at the Smithsonian Institute and the second takes place on April 13, 1988 at the Columbia University Low Memorial Library. Throughout these two interviews, Fields discusses how slavery brought the nation to Civil War. She details the many ways in which slaves took political action to gain emancipation and to fight for their equality, rejecting the notion that white politicians and soldiers were the main definers of the Civil War. Fields provides historical background and context about many looming historical figures such as Abraham Lincoln, Robert E. Lee, and Frederick Douglass. She also returns to the narrative of minor figures, often overlooked, such as Spottswood Rice, Hannah Johnson, and John Boston. She makes the argument that the civil war was less about the cohesion of the Union and more about the fight for hum
- Asset type
- Raw Footage
- Copyright 1989, Kenneth Lauren Burns All Rights Reserved
- Media type
- Moving Image
Copyright Holder: Florentine Films
Director: Ken Burns
Interviewee: Fields, Barbara
Producing Organization: Florentine Films
Producing Organization: Ken Burns - Florentine Films
- AAPB Contributor Holdings
Ken Burns - Florentine Films
Identifier: Barbara_Fields_master (AAPB Inventory ID)
If you have a copy of this asset and would like us to add it to our catalog, please contact us.
- Chicago: “The Civil War; Interviews with Barbara Fields,” 1987-01-14, Ken Burns - Florentine Films, American Archive of Public Broadcasting (WGBH and the Library of Congress), Boston, MA and Washington, DC, accessed February 22, 2020, http://americanarchive.org/catalog/cpb-aacip_509-2r3nv99t98.
- MLA: “The Civil War; Interviews with Barbara Fields.” 1987-01-14. Ken Burns - Florentine Films, American Archive of Public Broadcasting (WGBH and the Library of Congress), Boston, MA and Washington, DC. Web. February 22, 2020. <http://americanarchive.org/catalog/cpb-aacip_509-2r3nv99t98>.
- APA: The Civil War; Interviews with Barbara Fields. Boston, MA: Ken Burns - Florentine Films, American Archive of Public Broadcasting (WGBH and the Library of Congress), Boston, MA and Washington, DC. Retrieved from http://americanarchive.org/catalog/cpb-aacip_509-2r3nv99t98