The music of Don Gillis; The Land of Wheat
You're listening to music by Don Gillis. This is Don Gillis saying welcome to program number six in the series brought to you by the National Educational Broadcasting Network which I have the good fortune not only to be your hosting program annotator but your composer as well where the programs are devoted altogether to my music. Music composer out the past 25 years or so this broadcast will be offering music written for a band and not only that a single work composed on commission from the Knowles vocal music company Mr. Vogel had asked for work to be premier at at his annual band clinic and it was jointly agreed that the work would concern itself with the great north western area and that more specifically the title would be the land of wheat. I decided that it would be a suite of six movements tracing the history of the area from the days of the end
into our present time. The individual movements of the suite are both Program magic and descriptive. It begins with a slow movement called the land and the people followed by a brisk and energetic piece called the planting. There follows a slogan named the fields in summer and arrival of the article section titled lazy days. In the next movement the threshing bee for caution and brass join forces to help you recall the sounds of the old steam threshing machine and the finale is called Celebration. I call your attention in this last moment to the sounds of by room pianos mingling with the ringing of church bells. Legend has it that in the early days one side of that frontier village was respectable while the other. Well they did have a bar room piano complete with a professor to play it. And this performance Colonel Chester a whiting conductor of the United States Army field band gave the world premiere and Morehead Minnesota and we will hear it now. Land of wheat.
I am. Helen. You. Are an eye out.
With. Them. Ellen.
Ellen Ellen. Thank you.
Thank. You. Thank you. Thank. You.
am. Wow wow
wow. Wow wow wow. Wow wow wow. Think.
think. Thanks. Thanks thanks thanks. Thanks. Wow bang bang.
Bang bang. THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU. Wow wow wow wow. Wow a. To interview. You go out to L.A..
Thank goodness for the line to be conducted by Colonel Chester a whiting with the United States Army field band in the world premiere performance of his work in Morehead Minnesota at the Knowles Vocal Band clinic. The work was commissioned by Mr Vogel and is dedicated to him. Next week our program will present still another commission score this one. The Symphony Number seven subtitle saga of the prairie school commissioned by Texas Christian University on the occasion of its seventy fifth anniversary. Your most cordially invited to be with us on this program is produced and recorded for the national educational radio network by Riverdale Productions. Under the technical supervision John cover this is done give us because this is the national educational radio network.
- The music of Don Gillis
- The Land of Wheat
- Contributing Organization
- University of Maryland (College Park, Maryland)
- AAPB ID
- Episode Description
- This program focuses on Don Gilis' composition, The Land of Wheat.
- Series Description
- This series features the works of Don Gillis; hosted by the composer himself. Most of the performances are conducted by the composer.
- Broadcast Date
- Media type
Composer: Gillis, Don, 1912-1978
Host: Gillis, Don, 1912-1978
- AAPB Contributor Holdings
University of Maryland
Identifier: 64-24-6 (National Association of Educational Broadcasters)
Format: 1/4 inch audio tape
If you have a copy of this asset and would like us to add it to our catalog, please contact us.
- Chicago: “The music of Don Gillis; The Land of Wheat,” 1964-07-17, University of Maryland, American Archive of Public Broadcasting (GBH and the Library of Congress), Boston, MA and Washington, DC, accessed February 23, 2024, http://americanarchive.org/catalog/cpb-aacip-500-v97zqv69.
- MLA: “The music of Don Gillis; The Land of Wheat.” 1964-07-17. University of Maryland, American Archive of Public Broadcasting (GBH and the Library of Congress), Boston, MA and Washington, DC. Web. February 23, 2024. <http://americanarchive.org/catalog/cpb-aacip-500-v97zqv69>.
- APA: The music of Don Gillis; The Land of Wheat. Boston, MA: University of Maryland, American Archive of Public Broadcasting (GBH and the Library of Congress), Boston, MA and Washington, DC. Retrieved from http://americanarchive.org/catalog/cpb-aacip-500-v97zqv69