The LaSalle String Quartet II; Bartok, Beethoven, and Stravinsky, part 2
The six string quartets Opus 18 are the most representative work of Beethoven's First period together with his first symphony. They were composed in the years 1798 to 801 one of the most successful and certainly the happiest period in Beethoven's life. The Master's personality clearly desirable even in these early works is revealed in its brightest aspect almost throughout the six quartets quickly became favorite works at the many private concerts held in Viennese homes public performances of chamber music occurred very rarely in those days and even today. These first quartets are holding their own beside the later and last quartets of Beethoven. In spite or indeed by virtue of their diametrically opposed character the quartet number three although published as the third in the series of six and Opus 18 was actually first in point of composition completed probably in 1798 when Beethoven was twenty eight years old. The quartet in D major
opus 18 Number three of Beethoven is played by the LA soule quartet. And.
am. Yeah. And anyway. That was leap or to end the major world was 18 number 3 by Beethoven. Played by the last hour string quartet. Igor Stravinsky has written only two works for string quartet the concertina O and the three pieces composed just prior to World War One written for the quartet in 1920 one movement concert Dino derives its title from the soloist treatment of the first violin which gets to play a cadenza as a lively and cheerful piece abounding
in accents and cross rhythms combined with wit and elegance. We conclude the program with a performance of concertina by Igor Stravinsky as played by the LA quartet. Concertina by Igor Stravinsky earlier in this program
we heard the quartet number two Bela Bartok and the quartet in D major opus 18 number three Beethoven. You've been listening to the first of six programs by the la sol string quartet whose members are Walter Levine and Henry Meyer violins Peter comets are Viola and Jack Kirsteen cello. This series was produced by WG UC at the University of Cincinnati radio station and the programs were made possible by contributions from the friends of WGA U.S. a la Sal quartet is now in its 13th year of residence at the University of Cincinnati College Conservatory of Music on the next program in this series we are to hear compositions of Haydn Frankel of Anja Listi and Yohannes Brahms. This is Bill Burns inviting you to be with us for the next broadcast recycled by the last Sal's string quartet. This is the national educational radio network.
- Producing Organization
- University of Cincinnati
- WGUC (Radio station : Cincinnati, Ohio)
- Contributing Organization
- University of Maryland (College Park, Maryland)
- AAPB ID
If you have more information about this item than what is given here, or if you have concerns about this record, we want to know! Contact us, indicating the AAPB ID (cpb-aacip/500-ks6j549v).
- Episode Description
- This program, the second of two parts, features performances of Bartok: Quartet No. 2; Beethoven: Quartet, Op. 18, No. 3; Stravinsky: Concertino
- Series Description
- This series presents performances by the La Salle Quartet of Cincinnati, Ohio.
- Media type
Performing Group: La Salle Quartet
Producing Organization: University of Cincinnati
Producing Organization: WGUC (Radio station : Cincinnati, Ohio)
- AAPB Contributor Holdings
University of Maryland
Identifier: 67-20-1 (National Association of Educational Broadcasters)
Format: 1/4 inch audio tape
If you have a copy of this asset and would like us to add it to our catalog, please contact us.
- Chicago: “The LaSalle String Quartet II; Bartok, Beethoven, and Stravinsky, part 2,” 1967-03-13, University of Maryland, American Archive of Public Broadcasting (GBH and the Library of Congress), Boston, MA and Washington, DC, accessed June 5, 2023, http://americanarchive.org/catalog/cpb-aacip-500-ks6j549v.
- MLA: “The LaSalle String Quartet II; Bartok, Beethoven, and Stravinsky, part 2.” 1967-03-13. University of Maryland, American Archive of Public Broadcasting (GBH and the Library of Congress), Boston, MA and Washington, DC. Web. June 5, 2023. <http://americanarchive.org/catalog/cpb-aacip-500-ks6j549v>.
- APA: The LaSalle String Quartet II; Bartok, Beethoven, and Stravinsky, part 2. Boston, MA: University of Maryland, American Archive of Public Broadcasting (GBH and the Library of Congress), Boston, MA and Washington, DC. Retrieved from http://americanarchive.org/catalog/cpb-aacip-500-ks6j549v