The music of Don Gillis; Music for concert band
Listening to music you're listening on this program music for a band. Music by Don Gill was program number 12 in the current series being brought to you by the national educational radio network. This week we're on the bandstand again and our program will be devoted to music written for my favorite American musical instrument. The concert band and we'll begin our show with music commissioned by the American school band directors association which had its premiere some years ago under the baton of Donna McGuinness
since its first performance the original title has been changed and the work has also been shortened considerably. We'll hear it in its new form but not yet complete with a new title. But for right now we'll just call it an overture looking for a title. Maybe after you hear it you will think of one and send it to me. And.
You're. The. One. Man oh man. The.
YOUNG MAN. Let. Me Explain. Thank you and. Me and.
You. Good luck. You're listening to music by Don Garros and on this program music from Ban what we've just heard was an overture that doesn't have a title yet. Maybe you'd like to suggest one for it. The music we're going to hear next does have a title. It's called the pleasant years and it's the slow movement from my first symphony for band. Horse. Horse.
Why. Why. You're.
You're you're. You're. You're. You're. Sure.
Yeah. The pleasant years from the Symphony Number one for band a slow but
reflecting the memories of my childhood days in Cameron Missouri here still another movement from the same symphony of the finale entitled autumn festival. Oh. Yes.
Yeah. Yeah. Yeah. Yeah. The finale from the first symphony for a band by Donna Gillis with the music being played by the United
States Army Band under the baton of its composer. Our band concert continues now is in a mood of retrospection as we hear him song for Sunday. Why.
The music was him song for Sunday the composer died to give us the occasion a concert of music for a band brought to you by the national educational radio network
and since no band concert would be complete without a march let's let it never be said that this band concert was not complete. And so on March the title Mr. Big. Wow. Wow. Wow. Wow. Wow. Wow. Wow. Wow. Wow.
Wow. Wow. Eh. Eh eh. Eh eh. Eh eh. Eh eh. Eh eh. Eh eh. Eh eh. Eh eh. Eh eh. Eh eh.
Wow. Wow. Wow. Wow. You. You. You. You. You. You. You. You. You. Larry. Wow. ILY.
ILY. ILY. ILY. Ily ily. The end. Room. To. Room. Roam. The National High School band in Iraq and under
the baton of Dr. George C. Wilson has just played Mr. Big march for concert band is the final music and our band concert on music by Don give us and I hope you've enjoyed the music on our broadcast but then I always do hope you enjoy the music on these concerts of my writings. Next week we're going to be with you for the very last time on this current series. And for a final program I have decided to schedule some of my favorite compositions from among the many compositions that we've heard together during these past weeks. We'll hear a ranch house party in Main Street Saturday night for my portrait of a frontier town deep blues and waltz of sorts from my dance Symphony the tango all about from Twinkletoes suite and the spiritual from Symphony five and a half. And since it's sort of a farewell party all the way around why don't you join me and wave goodbye or something. Music by Don give us is brought to you each week over your favorite station by the national educational radio network and this is done give us saying thanks for being
with us so long. This is the national educational radio network.
- The music of Don Gillis
- Music for concert band
- Contributing Organization
- University of Maryland (College Park, Maryland)
- AAPB ID
If you have more information about this item than what is given here, or if you have concerns about this record, we want to know! Contact us, indicating the AAPB ID (cpb-aacip/500-gq6r3738).
- Episode Description
- This program focuses on Don Gillis' compositions for concert band.
- Series Description
- This series features the works of Don Gillis; hosted by the composer himself. Most of the performances are conducted by the composer.
- Broadcast Date
- Media type
Composer: Gillis, Don, 1912-1978
Host: Gillis, Don, 1912-1978
- AAPB Contributor Holdings
University of Maryland
Identifier: 64-24-25 (National Association of Educational Broadcasters)
Format: 1/4 inch audio tape
If you have a copy of this asset and would like us to add it to our catalog, please contact us.
- Chicago: “The music of Don Gillis; Music for concert band,” 1964-11-25, University of Maryland, American Archive of Public Broadcasting (GBH and the Library of Congress), Boston, MA and Washington, DC, accessed June 5, 2023, http://americanarchive.org/catalog/cpb-aacip-500-gq6r3738.
- MLA: “The music of Don Gillis; Music for concert band.” 1964-11-25. University of Maryland, American Archive of Public Broadcasting (GBH and the Library of Congress), Boston, MA and Washington, DC. Web. June 5, 2023. <http://americanarchive.org/catalog/cpb-aacip-500-gq6r3738>.
- APA: The music of Don Gillis; Music for concert band. Boston, MA: University of Maryland, American Archive of Public Broadcasting (GBH and the Library of Congress), Boston, MA and Washington, DC. Retrieved from http://americanarchive.org/catalog/cpb-aacip-500-gq6r3738