Doctor tell me; Special diets for cancer
Doctor tell me. Can special diets be used to treat or cure cancer. Because answering questions about your health is an important part of your doctor's services. The Minnesota State Medical Association presents doctor tell me here to ask the doctor your questions. Is Janice Hughes dead. Today your health questions will be answered by Dr. John Brown an internist from Minneapolis. Dr. Brown what about these diets which require hourly drinks of a vegetable juice or some other type of juice. Does this have any real effect on curing cancer. Actually not. There have been a number of special dietary treatments of cancer proposed and special dietary treatments of other diseases of a chronic nature also. By and large these tend to be very intricate diets but can be quite simple and are
designed to form a rigid pattern of dietary intake for the proposed cure or treatment of cancer. These have been investigated and when they've been proposed by number means there's been no stammerer least proof that dietary treatment of cancer is in any way beneficial to the treatment of the cancer. Certain types of diets are often beneficial to the patient in that they supply good nutrition which the patient needs. With a disease which is sapping their body of normal energy and strength. High protein diets will often benefit the patient and give them a sense of well-being. Because you're replacing a substance which is being sapped from the body by the growth of the tumor. What about the great cure the great cure is not really a new treatment. It's certainly an unproven treatment. It's dates back
many many years probably as many as one hundred fifty two hundred years and consists primarily of eating nothing but grapes on a fairly rigid schedule for a period of one to two sometimes three weeks in some instances this is when combined with some other unproven form of cancer therapy with the idea of treating a cancer patient. This is shown no benefit and in addition to watching patients who have been on the great diet and knowing that they had sheaves no relief from the diet itself. Grapes have been extracted as well as many other plants and vegetables for any possible ingredient which might be present which would be helpful in the treatment of cancer and at the present time I think we can safely say that the grape diet or grape extract is not efficacious in the treatment of cancer.
Is cancer caused by any imbalance of acids in the body. The question which you asked. It is one which would lead to a long and lengthy discussion. By and large I think we can answer it by saying simply that the cause of cancer at the present time remains unknown. There may be imbalances within the body which have effect in producing the changes which lead to cancer. We don't know what they are. Certainly by measurement of body acid concentrations or various body constituents we have been unable to determine any causative factor in cancer from this type of study. When we find the cause of cancer we hopefully will be able to control the disease. The only nearer answer to causation of cancer are those isolated cases where we know a particular type of
- Doctor tell me
- Special diets for cancer
- Producing Organization
- University of Minnesota
- KUOM (Radio station : Minneapolis, Minn.)
- Contributing Organization
- University of Maryland (College Park, Maryland)
- AAPB ID
- Episode Description
- Program number 347 asks if special diets can be used to treat cancer.
- Other Description
- Weekly interviews with a Minneapolis-St. Paul area doctor about a current medical issue.
- Broadcast Date
- Media type
Interviewee: Brown, John H.
Interviewer: Husted, Janice
Producing Organization: University of Minnesota
Producing Organization: KUOM (Radio station : Minneapolis, Minn.)
- AAPB Contributor Holdings
University of Maryland
Identifier: 61-35e-347 (National Association of Educational Broadcasters)
Format: 1/4 inch audio tape
If you have a copy of this asset and would like us to add it to our catalog, please contact us.
- Chicago: “Doctor tell me; Special diets for cancer,” 1969-05-06, University of Maryland, American Archive of Public Broadcasting (GBH and the Library of Congress), Boston, MA and Washington, DC, accessed August 9, 2022, http://americanarchive.org/catalog/cpb-aacip-500-901zhn3h.
- MLA: “Doctor tell me; Special diets for cancer.” 1969-05-06. University of Maryland, American Archive of Public Broadcasting (GBH and the Library of Congress), Boston, MA and Washington, DC. Web. August 9, 2022. <http://americanarchive.org/catalog/cpb-aacip-500-901zhn3h>.
- APA: Doctor tell me; Special diets for cancer. Boston, MA: University of Maryland, American Archive of Public Broadcasting (GBH and the Library of Congress), Boston, MA and Washington, DC. Retrieved from http://americanarchive.org/catalog/cpb-aacip-500-901zhn3h