Doctor tell me; Weight gain during pregnancy
Doctor tell me how much weight should a woman gain during pregnancy. Because answering questions about your health is an important part of your doctor's services. The Minnesota State Medical Association presents doctor tell me here to ask the doctor your questions. Is Janice Hughes dead. Today your health questions will be answered by Dr. Rodney F's truly a St. Paul obstetrician and gynaecologist doctor sisterly. Does eating for two mean that the pregnant woman should eat twice as much. No of course not. The pregnant girl is allowed to gain. A certain number of pounds depending upon what her base weight is this is determined of course by her age and her height. And the type of structure that she has slight medium and heavy mother whereas the bony structure of her body. So we come up with a formula as a rule.
And then we try to give her some kind of a realistic number of pounds. Let's say that she is five feet seven weighs one hundred thirty five pounds and she's a fairly well constructed girl I would allow her to gain a total of 20 pounds she's going to need this much. On the other hand let's say She's 5 feet tall weighs 98 pounds. I don't want her to gain 20 pounds. It's inconsistent. You know I would like her being in let's say 15 or even 12 pounds. But by and large as a rule of thumb we usually speak of a 20 pound weight gain from the normal base weight not necessarily what she wished she could come in being 50 pounds overweight Well I doesn't mean she's allowed to gain 20 more pounds is this weight gain on some type of schedule. Yes we. During the early phases of pregnancy when they're not feeling very well they will
tend to gain weight a little bit faster than they like. And then after they've gotten over there sometimes the weight is a little easier for them to control. But then toward the end of pregnancy they have to really bear down. For some reason other weight gain seems to accelerate toward the end. But a patient who is very cooperated individual who is properly motivated who is anxious to have a nice child of mice labor and look nice after the whole thing is over with. These girls are going to be pretty careful about their total weight gain. It's very easy to take care of your wife for the pregnant woman to remember that the things that she eats are for two people. Oh yes. This of course you're referring to the type of diet that she has it should be well-balanced it should contain adequate protein that should have some carbohydrate in it a minimum of fat. The
minerals iron and so forth can be obtained in natural form. A girl having a well balanced diet with three to four glasses of milk per day usually requires no supplementary medication talk. Of course you know there are numerous commercial products a prenatal capsule as they're usually called and many patients take these. Many of them take them and don't need them atol. There are some of us who believe also that if a girl drinks a reasonable amount of milk during her pregnancy she probably shouldn't take calcium. At least she shouldn't take certain forms of counseling because there is an antagonistic effect between the form of calcium in the milk and some of the formerly popular calcium tablets. Pretty little capsules today are a little more sophisticated. The problem of combining them with no
- Doctor tell me
- Weight gain during pregnancy
- Producing Organization
- University of Minnesota
- KUOM (Radio station : Minneapolis, Minn.)
- Contributing Organization
- University of Maryland (College Park, Maryland)
- AAPB ID
- Episode Description
- Program number 332 asks how much weight a woman should gain during pregnancy.
- Other Description
- Weekly interviews with a Minneapolis-St. Paul area doctor about a current medical issue.
- Broadcast Date
- Media type
Interviewee: Sterley, Rodney F.
Interviewer: Husted, Janice
Producing Organization: University of Minnesota
Producing Organization: KUOM (Radio station : Minneapolis, Minn.)
- AAPB Contributor Holdings
University of Maryland
Identifier: 61-35e-332 (National Association of Educational Broadcasters)
Format: 1/4 inch audio tape
If you have a copy of this asset and would like us to add it to our catalog, please contact us.
- Chicago: “Doctor tell me; Weight gain during pregnancy,” 1969-01-29, University of Maryland, American Archive of Public Broadcasting (GBH and the Library of Congress), Boston, MA and Washington, DC, accessed August 13, 2022, http://americanarchive.org/catalog/cpb-aacip-500-5m628w80.
- MLA: “Doctor tell me; Weight gain during pregnancy.” 1969-01-29. University of Maryland, American Archive of Public Broadcasting (GBH and the Library of Congress), Boston, MA and Washington, DC. Web. August 13, 2022. <http://americanarchive.org/catalog/cpb-aacip-500-5m628w80>.
- APA: Doctor tell me; Weight gain during pregnancy. Boston, MA: University of Maryland, American Archive of Public Broadcasting (GBH and the Library of Congress), Boston, MA and Washington, DC. Retrieved from http://americanarchive.org/catalog/cpb-aacip-500-5m628w80