Doctor tell me; Early symptoms of pregnancy
Doctor tell me what can be done about the early symptoms of pregnancy. Because answering questions about your health is an important part of your doctor's services. The Minnesota State Medical Association presents doctor tell me here to ask the doctor your questions. Is Jennifer Hughes dead today your health questions will be answered by Dr. Rodney F. Starlee a St. Paul obstetrician and gynaecologist doctor Starlee. What are some of the common problems of pregnancy and what can be done about them. I think we should start first with the. Problems of early pregnancy which actually revolve around the symptoms of pregnancy and we can list relatively rapidly those most encountered Nazia vomiting of course is number one. I think fatigue is probably just about as frequent headaches as one that is not often talked about but nevertheless is a very frequent complaint early in pregnancy.
Painful breasts and constipation make the list complete. As far as taking care of these symptoms and alleviating them this is a pretty difficult thing to do. We have suggestions for the girls let's take Nazia for example. You are aware of the fact that we're not anxious to have our patients take pills aren't you. And you understand the reason why we hold back on medication at the early part of the pregnancy or you know our last. Well we know that certain medications can have a harmful effect on the unborn fetus particularly during the early weeks of pregnancy. The greatest danger is from the fourth to the seventh week of gestation. The danger from medications and so forth is over by the 14th twig. Unfortunately many of these symptoms which we would like to treat occur at this highly critical period.
What about common medications such as penicillin. I know you we can treat it with pen a song the best rule for medication early pregnancy is to treat that which must be treated. But let's get back to the symptom of pregnancy. Most of them are not debilitating. The patient can get along perfectly alright actually with nozinan vomiting. The best way of getting some relief from the nausea is to eat. Of course the girl when you tell your patient that she can help or not by eating too much they get a little disturbed because they're always way conscious and they're afraid that this additional intake of food will be bad as far as their weight gain is concerned. But they aren't to eat large quantities we simply want them to be nibbling all the time. And it can be low caloric foods. The trick is to keep something just a little bit in the stomach all the time. This at least will prevent them from vomiting.
What causes the Nazia in the first place. I don't think we really know precisely. It's obviously related to the hormonal development. It's probably the progestin means they protest or on are the going out of chop ins that occur in pregnancy. We see the same thing with the contraceptive pill which is a protest or on like substance so there's probably some hormonal relationship. Most of these symptoms of a serious nature are mostly a nuisance they can be serious if not treated but usually it's another sense and we can discuss more of these in detail. Thank you very much Dr. Stanley. The Minnesota State Medical Association has presented Dr. tell me recorded in the studios of KUNM at the University of Minnesota. Jenna's who is dead has asked the doctor your questions if you have any additional questions. Write to Dr. tell me. Minnesota State Medical Association Three seventy five
Jackson St.. St. Paul Minnesota 5 5 1 0 1. This program was distributed by the national educational radio network.
- Doctor tell me
- Early symptoms of pregnancy
- Producing Organization
- University of Minnesota
- KUOM (Radio station : Minneapolis, Minn.)
- Contributing Organization
- University of Maryland (College Park, Maryland)
- AAPB ID
- Episode Description
- Program number 330 asks what can be done about the early symptoms of pregnancy.
- Series Description
- Weekly interviews with a Minneapolis-St. Paul area doctor about a current medical issue.
- Broadcast Date
- Media type
Interviewee: Sterley, Rodney F.
Interviewer: Husted, Janice
Producing Organization: University of Minnesota
Producing Organization: KUOM (Radio station : Minneapolis, Minn.)
- AAPB Contributor Holdings
University of Maryland
Identifier: 61-35e-330 (National Association of Educational Broadcasters)
Format: 1/4 inch audio tape
If you have a copy of this asset and would like us to add it to our catalog, please contact us.
- Chicago: “Doctor tell me; Early symptoms of pregnancy,” 1969-01-14, University of Maryland, American Archive of Public Broadcasting (GBH and the Library of Congress), Boston, MA and Washington, DC, accessed November 30, 2023, http://americanarchive.org/catalog/cpb-aacip-500-00003m1g.
- MLA: “Doctor tell me; Early symptoms of pregnancy.” 1969-01-14. University of Maryland, American Archive of Public Broadcasting (GBH and the Library of Congress), Boston, MA and Washington, DC. Web. November 30, 2023. <http://americanarchive.org/catalog/cpb-aacip-500-00003m1g>.
- APA: Doctor tell me; Early symptoms of pregnancy. Boston, MA: University of Maryland, American Archive of Public Broadcasting (GBH and the Library of Congress), Boston, MA and Washington, DC. Retrieved from http://americanarchive.org/catalog/cpb-aacip-500-00003m1g