Black Journal; No. 712; A Visit With Alex Haley
- Black Journal
- Episode Number
- No. 712
- A Visit With Alex Haley
- Producing Organization
- WNET (Television station : New York, N.Y.)
- Contributing Organization
- Library of Congress (Washington, District of Columbia)
- AAPB ID
- Episode Description
- An interview with Alex Haley about his book "Roots."
- Series Description
- Black Journal began as a monthly series produced for, about, and – to a large extent – by black Americans, which used the magazine format to report on relevant issues to black Americans. Starting with the October 5, 1971 broadcast, the show switched to a half-hour weekly format that focused on one issue per week, with a brief segment on black news called “Grapevine.” Beginning in 1973, the series changed back into a hour long show and experimented with various formats, including a call-in portion. From its initial broadcast on June 12, 1968 through November 7, 1972, Black Journal was produced under the National Educational Television name. Starting on November 14, 1972, the series was produced solely by WNET/13. Only the episodes produced under the NET name are included in the NET Collection. For the first part of Black Journal, episodes are numbered sequential spanning broadcast seasons. After the 1971-72 season, which ended with episode #68, the series started using season specific episode numbers, beginning with #301. The 1972-73 season spans #301 - 332, and then the 1973-74 season starts with #401. This new numbering pattern continues through the end of the series.
- Broadcast Date
- Created Date
- Asset type
- Race and Ethnicity
- Media type
- Moving Image
Guest: Haley, Alex
Host: Brown, Tony
Producing Organization: WNET (Television station : New York, N.Y.)
- AAPB Contributor Holdings
Library of Congress
Identifier: cpb-aacip-9d98ff480e2 (Filename)
Format: 2 inch videotape
If you have a copy of this asset and would like us to add it to our catalog, please contact us.
- Chicago: “Black Journal; No. 712; A Visit With Alex Haley,” 1977-04-24, Library of Congress, American Archive of Public Broadcasting (GBH and the Library of Congress), Boston, MA and Washington, DC, accessed June 26, 2022, http://americanarchive.org/catalog/cpb-aacip-cd53ff4a30b.
- MLA: “Black Journal; No. 712; A Visit With Alex Haley.” 1977-04-24. Library of Congress, American Archive of Public Broadcasting (GBH and the Library of Congress), Boston, MA and Washington, DC. Web. June 26, 2022. <http://americanarchive.org/catalog/cpb-aacip-cd53ff4a30b>.
- APA: Black Journal; No. 712; A Visit With Alex Haley. Boston, MA: Library of Congress, American Archive of Public Broadcasting (GBH and the Library of Congress), Boston, MA and Washington, DC. Retrieved from http://americanarchive.org/catalog/cpb-aacip-cd53ff4a30b