Chicago Matters; Questions of Faith; A Pastor's Journal
- Chicago Matters
- Questions of Faith
- A Pastor's Journal
- Producing Organization
- WBEZ (Radio station : Chicago, Ill.)
- Window to the World Communications, Inc.
- Contributing Organization
- The Walter J. Brown Media Archives & Peabody Awards Collection at the University of Georgia (Athens, Georgia)
- AAPB ID
- Episode Description
- Pastor's Journal' was produced for WBEZ's Spring 1996 series 'Chicago Matters--Questions of Faith,' which explored issues of religion and faith in our society today. The idea behind the documentary was simple, yet illuminating, to show the life of a pastor in an inner-city church. We know what a pastor does on Sunday but how about the rest of the week, what would it be like to have a window into a pastor's private thoughts, hopes and worries' We contacted Susan Johnson at Hyde Park Union Baptist Church, one of the oldest and grandest of Chicago's churches, which is in great need of repairs at the same time that the congregation is declining. We chose this setting because this is a very common story among the city's established mainstream churches. We chose Susan Johnson because she is a remarkable and insightful pastor. "Susan Johnson, who was celebrating her 10th year as a pastor of this church, was eager to keep an audio journal over the late winter and spring months of 1996. Award-winning documentarian Jay Allison collected her tapes and wove them into a beautiful and revealing story of one woman's avocation. As a result, 'Pastor's Journal' let our audience into a world they otherwise would never have entered, nor perhaps understood."--1996 Peabody Awards entry form for 96029 DCR.
- Series Description
- "Each year WTTW devotes its Chicago Matters Series to a subject of concern to the community. This year, the series presented an in-depth look at religion. Joined by WBEZ Radio and The Chicago Public Library, the series addressed QUESTIONS OF FAITH through documentaries, weekly radio programs and public discussions. "No matter what religion we are ascribed, there are certain life events that often compel us to turn to religion in search of meaning, comfort and community. THE HEART OF RELIGION examines the role religion plays in our personal and spiritual life through three 'rites of passage,' birth, marriage and death. "CHICAGO'S SACRED TREASURES takes viewers on a visual tour through the city and suburbs to illustrate how religious communities express their faith through the arts. Through music, dance, sculpture, calligraphy, painting, stained glass and even needlework the program conveys the idea that in all religions there are those who are inspired to express their devotion through some sore of creative expression. "A special edition of CHICAGO TONIGHT, WTTW's nightly public affairs series, introduces viewers to Chicago's fastest-growing and second-largest religion--Islam. Host John Callaway moderates this discussion about beliefs, practices, and stereotypes with four area Muslims, including a leader of the offshoot Nation of Islam. "The CHICAGO MATTERS MINUTES served as public service announcements as well as promotion for the series. As a community service to our viewers, the CHICAGO MATTERS SERIES utilized various mediums to promote religious understanding and tolerance among the different faiths through dialogue. "RECOMMENDED VIEWING: THE HEART OF RELIGION and CHICAGO's SACRED TREASURES"--1996 Peabody Awards entry form.
- Broadcast Date
- Asset type
- This content is owned by Window to the World Communications, Inc. (WTTW). For more information, visit wttw.com or news.wttw.com.
- Media type
Producing Organization: WBEZ (Radio station : Chicago, Ill.)
Producing Organization: Window to the World Communications, Inc.
- AAPB Contributor Holdings
The Walter J. Brown Media Archives & Peabody Awards Collection at the
University of Georgia
Identifier: cpb-aacip-6fe999b0da5 (Filename)
Format: 1/4 inch audio cassette
If you have a copy of this asset and would like us to add it to our catalog, please contact us.
- Chicago: “Chicago Matters; Questions of Faith; A Pastor's Journal,” 1996-05-20, The Walter J. Brown Media Archives & Peabody Awards Collection at the University of Georgia, American Archive of Public Broadcasting (GBH and the Library of Congress), Boston, MA and Washington, DC, accessed June 28, 2022, http://americanarchive.org/catalog/cpb-aacip-526-mp4vh5dn9d.
- MLA: “Chicago Matters; Questions of Faith; A Pastor's Journal.” 1996-05-20. The Walter J. Brown Media Archives & Peabody Awards Collection at the University of Georgia, American Archive of Public Broadcasting (GBH and the Library of Congress), Boston, MA and Washington, DC. Web. June 28, 2022. <http://americanarchive.org/catalog/cpb-aacip-526-mp4vh5dn9d>.
- APA: Chicago Matters; Questions of Faith; A Pastor's Journal. Boston, MA: The Walter J. Brown Media Archives & Peabody Awards Collection at the University of Georgia, American Archive of Public Broadcasting (GBH and the Library of Congress), Boston, MA and Washington, DC. Retrieved from http://americanarchive.org/catalog/cpb-aacip-526-mp4vh5dn9d