The Nightly Business Report; 1993 Compilation of Edited Highlights
- The Nightly Business Report
- Producing Organization
- WPBT-TV (Television station : Miami, Fla.)
- NBR Enterprises
- Contributing Organization
- The Walter J. Brown Media Archives & Peabody Awards Collection at the University of Georgia (Athens, Georgia)
- AAPB ID
- Series Description
- "In January, 1979, Miami public television station WPBT went into uncharted waters -- launching The Nightly Business Report (NBR) -- a 15-minute daily newscast devoted to business and economic news. The timing proved propitious. The demise of the afternoon newspaper and the beginning of a period of economic turmoil made investors hungry for news that would otherwise be available until the next morning. "After expanding to 30 minutes, the program began to be syndicated to public television stations nationally in October, 1981. From the beginning, NBR the program did more than just give stock quotes; reporting the latest economic indicators, interviewing top corporate executives and covering the 'supply side' revolution in Washington. In the interest of stimulating public debate on economic issues, it enlisted a group of prominent economists from across the political spectrum to provide nightly commentaries. "Fifteen years later, with a weekly audience of 3 million, The Nightly Business Report is the longest-running and most-watched daily business program on television. The segments shown here from 1993 broadcasts are typical of its regular elements: worldwide coverage of breaking news (through an alliance with Reuters), interviews with business newsmakers, comprehensive stock market reports, special reports and commentary. In addition, NBR devotes its holiday programs (on days when the markets are closed) to in-depth examinations of personal finance topics and specific industries. "NBR has proven that television can cover economics and business on a daily basis, and do so in a manner that is intelligent, objective and entertaining."--1993 Peabody Awards entry form.
- Segment Description
- This compilation includes Nightly Business reports segments such as news casts, extended interviews, overviews of market activity, reports on individual price changes in the stock market, guest opinion segments, special reports, presentations of Reuters polls, interviews from Business Week conferences, and "Money File," which focuses on helping viewers handle their own personal finances. This program includes interviews and audio snippets from former president Bill Clinton, former senator David Pryor; former senator William Cohen; Ron Sullo; Chris Andrews; Mark Kaplan; Edward Campbell; former United States Trade Representative Mickey Kantor; former senator Lloyd Bentsen; David Jones; Leroy Jones; Warren Buffett; former Chair of the US President's Council of Economic Advisers Laura Tyson; former president and chairman of American Airlines Robert Crandall; financial forecaster James Dines; Goldman Sachs market strategist Abby Cohen; Partner & Managing Director of Lehman Brothers Elaine Garzarelli; President of Berger Funds William Berger; Chairman and Co-Founder of Octel Corp Bob Cohn; Securities Analyst of WIG Securities Tom Friedburg; Vice President & Manager/China of Hill & Knowlton Dian Terry; Executive Director of Center for Responsive Politics Ellen Miller; Managing Partner of Yankelovich Partners Inc. Watts Wacker; President & CEO of Saturn Corporation Skip LeFauve; President of Health Insurance Plan of Greater New York Anthony Watson; and CFO of Eastman Kodak Christopher Steffen. Reporters include Cassie Seifert, Paul Kangas, Dennis Moore, and other Reuters correspondents.
- Broadcast Date
- Created Date
- Asset type
- Media type
- Moving Image
Producing Organization: WPBT-TV (Television station : Miami, Fla.)
Producing Organization: NBR Enterprises
- AAPB Contributor Holdings
The Walter J. Brown Media Archives & Peabody Awards Collection at the
University of Georgia
Identifier: cpb-aacip-62765d873ed (Filename)
If you have a copy of this asset and would like us to add it to our catalog, please contact us.
- Chicago: “The Nightly Business Report; 1993 Compilation of Edited Highlights,” 1993, The Walter J. Brown Media Archives & Peabody Awards Collection at the University of Georgia, American Archive of Public Broadcasting (GBH and the Library of Congress), Boston, MA and Washington, DC, accessed June 26, 2022, http://americanarchive.org/catalog/cpb-aacip-526-599z03057r.
- MLA: “The Nightly Business Report; 1993 Compilation of Edited Highlights.” 1993. The Walter J. Brown Media Archives & Peabody Awards Collection at the University of Georgia, American Archive of Public Broadcasting (GBH and the Library of Congress), Boston, MA and Washington, DC. Web. June 26, 2022. <http://americanarchive.org/catalog/cpb-aacip-526-599z03057r>.
- APA: The Nightly Business Report; 1993 Compilation of Edited Highlights. Boston, MA: The Walter J. Brown Media Archives & Peabody Awards Collection at the University of Georgia, American Archive of Public Broadcasting (GBH and the Library of Congress), Boston, MA and Washington, DC. Retrieved from http://americanarchive.org/catalog/cpb-aacip-526-599z03057r