The music of Don Gillis III; 11
You're listening to music. You're with us. From the campus of Southern Methodist University. Alice Texas national educational radio network presents music with us and this is a very lucky fellow indeed for having this half hour to bring you music he has written and words he is taking each week over these radio stations which constitutes a national educational radio network and on this the eleventh of this year's series I've selected for no reason whatsoever that I can think of music for wind instruments. And to begin our program we're going to hear work record as firstly for the series by Colonel Simon and the United States Army Band of Fort Myers Virginia. The word is an overture and it's titled America did you. Why.
The music was an overture for a band called give to the score
dedicated to the memory of Dr. Jones of the late founder and president of the national music camp in Michigan. Next music for woodwind quintet and for those among you who might be a bit me well what about the exact instrumental make up of the woodland to date. Is made up of a French horn. Now friends who aren't generally are considered to be members of the brass section. And the fact that they are also put in the woodwind family is a subject that would take much too long to go into here. Let's just all admit that they're there and make the most of it. Of course it could set us to worrying about how the French horn which is English in origin and also brass got into the woodwind family of the English horn which is of wood when it was very developed in France. Well there are lots of Junior Masters like this in music and what we're going to do right now is to
ask you to listen to my woodwind quintet. While I call up some musicologists or other on my sousaphone and try to figure the whole thing out. Oh yes the title of the music is five piece combo. Suite number three for just plain
fact. For the major work on this program is for band and chorus recorded during its world premiere performance. With Dickinson calling the festival and the composer as conductor of seven golden texts and a song from the Psalms of David. A. And a light.
Will this performance of seven golden axe and praise from the songs of
David with the Dickinson College band and the State Festival under the baton of its composer narrator to the end of another brought the music you know was back again next week when the song never came into being were the band recently recorded for us from the United States Army Band. And we'll also hear of other rollicking problems called dialogue from bone and band and I hope you'll join me to hear me say at the end of next week's program this program has come to you from the division of Music School of the arts on the campus of Southern Methodist University in Dallas Texas. Brought to you with the national educational radio network where all of the nation your station will now tell you which one of them it is you're going to listening to as soon as I say so long for now which I do now say so long. For now this program was distributed by national educational
radio based is the national educational radio network.
- The music of Don Gillis III
- Episode Number
- Producing Organization
- Southern Methodist University
- Contributing Organization
- University of Maryland (College Park, Maryland)
- AAPB ID
- Episode Description
- This program features composer Don Gillis highlighting some of his favorite pieces from his oeuvre.
- Series Description
- This series spotlights the works of American composer Don Gillis and is hosted by the man himself.
- Media type
Composer: Gillis, Don, 1912-1978
Host: Gillis, Don, 1912-1978
Producer: Gillis, Don, 1912-1978
Producing Organization: Southern Methodist University
- AAPB Contributor Holdings
University of Maryland
Identifier: 67-39-11 (National Association of Educational Broadcasters)
Format: 1/4 inch audio tape
If you have a copy of this asset and would like us to add it to our catalog, please contact us.
- Chicago: “The music of Don Gillis III; 11,” 1967-11-13, University of Maryland, American Archive of Public Broadcasting (GBH and the Library of Congress), Boston, MA and Washington, DC, accessed March 3, 2024, http://americanarchive.org/catalog/cpb-aacip-500-m9023k38.
- MLA: “The music of Don Gillis III; 11.” 1967-11-13. University of Maryland, American Archive of Public Broadcasting (GBH and the Library of Congress), Boston, MA and Washington, DC. Web. March 3, 2024. <http://americanarchive.org/catalog/cpb-aacip-500-m9023k38>.
- APA: The music of Don Gillis III; 11. Boston, MA: University of Maryland, American Archive of Public Broadcasting (GBH and the Library of Congress), Boston, MA and Washington, DC. Retrieved from http://americanarchive.org/catalog/cpb-aacip-500-m9023k38