Coverage of Protest at UNM Against Ending KUNM as a Free Form Station.
and i'm glad to see you and i'm volunteers and communities supporters today staged a demonstration at the university of new mexico administration building the rally was attended by over four hundred people but perhaps the most dramatic events this afternoon took place here in the studios of k u and m after apparently receiving threats by telephone that damage might be done to the station campus police and some aid officers to the station the officers barred entrance to anyone except with the approval of acting station manager patsy catlett when about a group of about ten volunteers and staff tried to enter the station a confrontation took place you're not going to here earlier in the day the rally at the un administration building to supporters who heard from
various k u n m and community speakers i'm here because i like radio and i like a unanimous taken away as well known living parents surveyed tv radio and i care about this is the only thing going on and it's important that we keep hearing him as the public supported station it has been for many many years of this nicotine and since nineteen sixty when i first came to the un and from the united states navy it's been its journey and tomorrow the music styles i listen to now than just about anything else that listen to be very very sad to see it and because of that broad range of music and has played jazz formats going to really limit the people who will be listening to especially during the daytime i think five
hours of jazz is going to be a long time to have to listen to jazz high between us i'm david greene thank you because you can the new regulation say that
we appreciate it every year joined us just a few months ago and they're doing a great job and you know it's also been saying all the dj and then we're here and we're speaking our mind is that the data so far marty paley no need to pay the
painting you can see the point mr van hollen you do before you leave the day you get one again and one of the candidates in the us we need to continue to pressure the early this morning a meeting took place between you and him vice president for community and international programs alex sanchez and a representative group of k u n and volunteers among those meeting with scientists was volunteer mary mcconnell reported to the rally on today's meeting we can't find now really why the controversy surrounding k u n and began with an announcer program change that would do away with the daytime freeform
programming to replace it with an additional hour of national public radio news a two hour npr arts and performance program and five hours daily of jazz from the station's record collection one of the women's jazz announcers jeffrey man who himself has been suspended for minor duties talk about what is planned in the jazz area second they're talking about a thirty or twenty degrees atlanta that music that they will be the beginning with little windham hill coming out of the performance of a classic well variety vocals from sarah vaughan ella fitzgerald not to put down those performers who in any way but a very limited sampling of his music with the primal cool fusion by late afternoon so that's an indication of you one day i hope it is and i thank you very much or putting up over one hundred people here today to
sign demanding that gag order the revolt that voice the proposed climate change people in deep grief and that it enhances kennedy gave me immediately and fully reinstated now the doors are locked and there are policemen inside were not allowed into a building so you cannot actually burnout senses richie jennings santa fe we're taking our own one raising donations in the form of checks made out to play you an important prize that only solar can only go to play in him then only every farm radio has continued it piled up today at an image as a county but i know at least we had twenty five dollars in pledges at least at this point i mean this is for a part time fund raising effort that's
grassroots and to start a volunteer chris martin was allowed inside schools hall pass the campus police were guarding the building martin went to the office of vice president alex sanchez and delivered a new petition calling for the removal of the so called gag order and calling for the reinstatement of those announcers were been suspended volunteers from katie when amanda community supporters it was a mini stations are planning a benefit concert in the near future and say they intend to continue their quiet man ah ah yeah man i am now
- Producing Organization
- Contributing Organization
- KUNM (Albuquerque, New Mexico)
- AAPB ID
- Raw Footage Description
- A report covering a rally of over 400 KUNM volunteers and supportors at the UNM Administration Building to save KUNM as free form radio. The report also mentions a phone threat against KUNM that initiated police screening people entering the building and blocking volunteers at the station. The protest was about getting rid of hours of local free form programs and replacing it with national shows, and dismissing local radio DJ volunteers, which protesters clearly felt was a generic and limited alternative to free-form radio. They demand reinstatement of suspended employees and susspension of plans to end free form format. The names of the suspended DJ are called out at the protest and are included in this recording.
- Asset type
- Raw Footage
- News Report
- Media type
Producing Organization: KUNM
- AAPB Contributor Holdings
KUNM (aka KNME-FM)
Identifier: cpb-aacip-5fb76d17454 (Filename)
Format: 1/4 inch audio tape
If you have a copy of this asset and would like us to add it to our catalog, please contact us.
- Chicago: “Coverage of Protest at UNM Against Ending KUNM as a Free Form Station.,” KUNM, American Archive of Public Broadcasting (GBH and the Library of Congress), Boston, MA and Washington, DC, accessed September 25, 2023, http://americanarchive.org/catalog/cpb-aacip-207-87pnw5mk.
- MLA: “Coverage of Protest at UNM Against Ending KUNM as a Free Form Station..” KUNM, American Archive of Public Broadcasting (GBH and the Library of Congress), Boston, MA and Washington, DC. Web. September 25, 2023. <http://americanarchive.org/catalog/cpb-aacip-207-87pnw5mk>.
- APA: Coverage of Protest at UNM Against Ending KUNM as a Free Form Station.. Boston, MA: KUNM, American Archive of Public Broadcasting (GBH and the Library of Congress), Boston, MA and Washington, DC. Retrieved from http://americanarchive.org/catalog/cpb-aacip-207-87pnw5mk