Muni; News; Reception for MLK's Nobel Prize
- Reception for MLK's Nobel Prize
- Contributing Organization
- WNYC (New York, New York)
- AAPB ID
- Hubert Humphrey speaks. Grateful that Dr. King returned safely, "can think of no one that has done more to give true meaning to that precious word called 'peace.'" Patterson introduces Wagner, thanks audience. Makes a joke about Bobby Kennedy. References the ceremony earlier in the day (71044 / RT294 / T713 / T714), "we claim you henceforth as an honorary New Yorker." Dr. King knows the way. "His way of peace is at the helm of the struggle." Thanks Dr. King with a "handsome desk set." Sounds of photographers wanting pictures. See also 71044. Patterson introduces Dr. King. Appreciation to Mayor Wagner. Speech similar to his Nobel Prize acceptance speech. Calls out some attendees (including James Farmer). Racial injustice, poverty, and war. "I'm absolutely convinced that our nation, or the world, will never rise to full maturity until somehow we can get rid of the long night of man's inhumanity to man, until we can get rid of racial injustice." The problem of war. "If we believe that life is worth living, we must find an alternative to war." King's speech ends and the program is closed. Cleveland Robinson interrupts to beg those in attendance to let Dr. King leave the room quickly.
- Event Coverage
- Media type
Speaker: King, Martin Luther, Jr., 1929-1968
Speaker: Wagner, Robert F. (Robert Ferdinand), 1910-1991
Speaker: Patterson, Richard C. (Richard Cunningham), 1886-1966
Speaker: Robinson, Cleveland L. (Cleveland Lowellyn), 1914-1995
Speaker: Humphrey, Hubert, 1911-1978
- AAPB Contributor Holdings
Identifier: 71046.1 (WNYC Media Archive Label)
Identifier: 71046.2 (WNYC Media Archive Label)
Format: Data CD
If you have a copy of this asset and would like us to add it to our catalog, please contact us.
- Chicago: “Muni; News; Reception for MLK's Nobel Prize,” 1964-12-17, WNYC, American Archive of Public Broadcasting (GBH and the Library of Congress), Boston, MA and Washington, DC, accessed June 25, 2022, http://americanarchive.org/catalog/cpb-aacip-80-4302vwz6.
- MLA: “Muni; News; Reception for MLK's Nobel Prize.” 1964-12-17. WNYC, American Archive of Public Broadcasting (GBH and the Library of Congress), Boston, MA and Washington, DC. Web. June 25, 2022. <http://americanarchive.org/catalog/cpb-aacip-80-4302vwz6>.
- APA: Muni; News; Reception for MLK's Nobel Prize. Boston, MA: WNYC, American Archive of Public Broadcasting (GBH and the Library of Congress), Boston, MA and Washington, DC. Retrieved from http://americanarchive.org/catalog/cpb-aacip-80-4302vwz6