Muni; Cooper Union Forum; Roger William Riis and the "Battle of the Slums"
This record is featured in “Protecting Places: Historic Preservation and Public Broadcasting.”
- Cooper Union Forum
- Contributing Organization
- WNYC (New York, New York)
- AAPB ID
If you have more information about this item than what is given here, we want to know! Contact us, indicating the AAPB ID (cpb-aacip/510-v11vd6q071).
- Recorded at Cooper Union Hall, Rodger William Riis speaks about issues in low-income housing in the present day versus 50 years ago. This speech is a tribute to his father, Jacob Riis, who gave a talk on the topic of "slum" housing at Cooper Union Hall fifty years prior. He describes obstacles to decent and affordable housing as "dragons." According to Roger William Riis, fifty years ago, the dragons in the way of slum clearance were landowner greed, indifference from the public, lack of housing laws and codes, corruption and race discrimination. The dragons of 1950 are somewhat similar: cost of development, race discrimination, new or temporary homes for dispossessed people, need for long-range city planning, narrow minded realtors and bankers, and greed of those in the housing industry. He insists that progress has been made and that these dragons are not insurmountable. Riis emphasizes segregation and unfair housing practices of African American citizens. He provides examples and statistics of black tenants being charged more than white tenants and given deplorable options for housing. The lecture is followed by a heated question and answer session. Audience members comment on topics such as the role of free enterprise, building on vacant land, the role of the government , transitional housing and the need for practical idealism
- 4 albums, 6s.
- Event Coverage
- Low-income housing.; Urban renewal.; Discrimination in housing--New York (State)--New York.; Segregation.; African Americans--Social conditions.
- Media type
Host: Fairchild, Johnson E.
Speaker: Riis, Roger William, 1894-1953
- AAPB Contributor Holdings
Identifier: 150177.1 (WNYC Media Archive Label)
Generation: Transcription disc
Identifier: 150177.2 (WNYC Media Archive Label)
Generation: Transcription disc
If you have a copy of this asset and would like us to add it to our catalog, please contact us.
- Chicago: “Muni; Cooper Union Forum; Roger William Riis and the "Battle of the Slums",” 1950-01-08, WNYC, American Archive of Public Broadcasting (WGBH and the Library of Congress), Boston, MA and Washington, DC, accessed July 18, 2019, http://americanarchive.org/catalog/cpb-aacip_510-v11vd6q071.
- MLA: “Muni; Cooper Union Forum; Roger William Riis and the "Battle of the Slums".” 1950-01-08. WNYC, American Archive of Public Broadcasting (WGBH and the Library of Congress), Boston, MA and Washington, DC. Web. July 18, 2019. <http://americanarchive.org/catalog/cpb-aacip_510-v11vd6q071>.
- APA: Muni; Cooper Union Forum; Roger William Riis and the "Battle of the Slums". Boston, MA: WNYC, American Archive of Public Broadcasting (WGBH and the Library of Congress), Boston, MA and Washington, DC. Retrieved from http://americanarchive.org/catalog/cpb-aacip_510-v11vd6q071