Muni; Community Action; Are the poor being pushed out by urban renewal?
This record is featured in “Protecting Places: Historic Preservation and Public Broadcasting.”
- Community Action
- Contributing Organization
- WNYC (New York, New York)
- AAPB ID
If you have more information about this item than what is given here, we want to know! Contact us, indicating the AAPB ID (cpb-aacip/510-h707w6803j).
- The focus of this episode of Community Action is on the urban renewal project on Manhattan's Upper West Side. Ted Thackery, Public Affairs Director for the Community Council, talks to Dr. Hazel McColly, Vice President of Greenley Associates Inc.; Alice M. Brophy, Coordinator for Social Services on the Housing and Development Board; and Reverend Henry J. Browne, founder and President of the Stryckers Bay Neighborhood Council. The speakers agree that urban renewal and slum clearance prioritizes real estate value over the native community. The main goal of urban renewal should be to rehouse the poor. Plans should be finalized long before any action is taken and should be considered on a neighborhood basis. Those who are being affected must organize to have their voices heard by the government and real estate developers. Community Action is a weekly health and welfare report produced by the Community Council of New York City.
- one 7in reel 1tk. 7 1/2 ips.
- Event Coverage
- Central Park (New York, N.Y.).; Urban renewal.; Low-income housing.; Real estate.
- Media type
Moderator: Thackery, Ted
Panelist: Browne, Henry J.
Panelist: Brophy, Alice
Panelist: McColly, Hazel
- AAPB Contributor Holdings
Identifier: 150947.1 (WNYC Media Archive Label)
If you have a copy of this asset and would like us to add it to our catalog, please contact us.
- Chicago: “Muni; Community Action; Are the poor being pushed out by urban renewal?,” 1965-08-18, WNYC, American Archive of Public Broadcasting (WGBH and the Library of Congress), Boston, MA and Washington, DC, accessed June 20, 2019, http://americanarchive.org/catalog/cpb-aacip_510-h707w6803j.
- MLA: “Muni; Community Action; Are the poor being pushed out by urban renewal?.” 1965-08-18. WNYC, American Archive of Public Broadcasting (WGBH and the Library of Congress), Boston, MA and Washington, DC. Web. June 20, 2019. <http://americanarchive.org/catalog/cpb-aacip_510-h707w6803j>.
- APA: Muni; Community Action; Are the poor being pushed out by urban renewal?. Boston, MA: WNYC, American Archive of Public Broadcasting (WGBH and the Library of Congress), Boston, MA and Washington, DC. Retrieved from http://americanarchive.org/catalog/cpb-aacip_510-h707w6803j