Louisiana Legends; Leah Chase
- Louisiana Legends
- Leah Chase
- Contributing Organization
- Louisiana Public Broadcasting (Baton Rouge, Louisiana)
- AAPB ID
- Episode Description
- This episode of the series "Louisiana Legends" from November 13, 2012, features an interview with Leah Chase conducted by Beth Courtney. Chase, known as the "Queen of Creole Cuisine," is the owner of Dooky Chase's Restaurant in New Orleans. She discusses: her enjoyment in meeting new people at her restaurant; her mother; how she learned to cook; the melding of the Cajun and Creole cultures; showcasing African American art in her restaurant; her husband's work with the NAACP during the Civil Rights Movement; her relationship with President George W. Bush; living in a FEMA trailer after Hurricane Katrina; her favorite menu; baking sweet potato pies for Michael Jackson; why General George Patton is one of her heroes; her respect for Ella Brennan; her family's plan to carry on with the restaurant; and her disappointment in President Barack Obama for putting hot sauce in her gumbo. The interview is preceded by a biographical segment on Chase, including interviews with her daughter, Leah Chase Kamata, and her friends, Chef John Folse and Sybil Morial.
- Asset type
- Talk Show
- Media type
- Moving Image
Copyright Holder: Louisiana Educational Television Authority
- AAPB Contributor Holdings
Louisiana Public Broadcasting
Identifier: http://ladigitalmedia.org/video_v2/asset-detail/LLOLG-2022 (unknown)
If you have a copy of this asset and would like us to add it to our catalog, please contact us.
- Chicago: “Louisiana Legends; Leah Chase,” 2012-11-13, Louisiana Public Broadcasting, American Archive of Public Broadcasting (GBH and the Library of Congress), Boston, MA and Washington, DC, accessed September 30, 2023, http://americanarchive.org/catalog/cpb-aacip-509-0r9m32nt5m.
- MLA: “Louisiana Legends; Leah Chase.” 2012-11-13. Louisiana Public Broadcasting, American Archive of Public Broadcasting (GBH and the Library of Congress), Boston, MA and Washington, DC. Web. September 30, 2023. <http://americanarchive.org/catalog/cpb-aacip-509-0r9m32nt5m>.
- APA: Louisiana Legends; Leah Chase. Boston, MA: Louisiana Public Broadcasting, American Archive of Public Broadcasting (GBH and the Library of Congress), Boston, MA and Washington, DC. Retrieved from http://americanarchive.org/catalog/cpb-aacip-509-0r9m32nt5m