NOVA; To the Moon; Interview with Gene Kranz, NASA Flight Director, part 2 of 5
- To the Moon
- Producing Organization
- WGBH Educational Foundation
- Contributing Organization
- WGBH (Boston, Massachusetts)
- AAPB ID
- Program Description
- This remarkably crafted program covers the full range of participants in the Apollo project, from the scientists and engineers who promoted bold ideas about the nature of the Moon and how to get there, to the young geologists who chose the landing sites and helped train the crews, to the astronauts who actually went - not once or twice, but six times, each to a more demanding and interesting location on the Moon's surface. "To The Moon" includes unprecedented footage, rare interviews, and presents a magnificent overview of the history of man and the Moon. To the Moon aired as NOVA episode 2610 in 1999.
- Raw Footage Description
- Gene Kranz, former NASA Flight Director, is interviewed about the Apollo program in its early years. Kranz describes the difficulties of taking over flight control from Christopher Kraft, and talks about the ground perspective before the Apollo 1 fire. Kranz talks about his experience of the fire and the difficulty of the fire on the flight controllers, and explains his famous "Tough and Competent" speech, and the "Failure is not an option" quotes that he coined. During Apollo 8, Kranz says that he cried after the Genesis reading and explains the importance of the mission and the computing power that made the mission possible. He also explains the interaction between the mission control and the scientists, who were put into a back room during missions, and talks about the relative youth of the people working in the mission control room.
- Created Date
- Asset type
- Raw Footage
- American History; Gemini; apollo; moon; Space; astronaut
- Media type
- Moving Image
Interviewee: Kranz, Eugene "Gene", 1933-
Producing Organization: WGBH Educational Foundation
- AAPB Contributor Holdings
Identifier: 52054 (barcode)
Format: Digital Betacam
If you have a copy of this asset and would like us to add it to our catalog, please contact us.
- Chicago: “NOVA; To the Moon; Interview with Gene Kranz, NASA Flight Director, part 2 of 5,” 1998-00-00, WGBH, American Archive of Public Broadcasting (GBH and the Library of Congress), Boston, MA and Washington, DC, accessed January 27, 2023, http://americanarchive.org/catalog/cpb-aacip-15-dj58c9sb8p.
- MLA: “NOVA; To the Moon; Interview with Gene Kranz, NASA Flight Director, part 2 of 5.” 1998-00-00. WGBH, American Archive of Public Broadcasting (GBH and the Library of Congress), Boston, MA and Washington, DC. Web. January 27, 2023. <http://americanarchive.org/catalog/cpb-aacip-15-dj58c9sb8p>.
- APA: NOVA; To the Moon; Interview with Gene Kranz, NASA Flight Director, part 2 of 5. Boston, MA: WGBH, American Archive of Public Broadcasting (GBH and the Library of Congress), Boston, MA and Washington, DC. Retrieved from http://americanarchive.org/catalog/cpb-aacip-15-dj58c9sb8p