Document: Deep South; Magnolias and the manufacturer
- Document: Deep South
- Magnolias and the manufacturer
- Producing Organization
- University of Alabama
- Contributing Organization
- University of Maryland (College Park, Maryland)
- AAPB ID
If you have more information about this item than what is given here, we want to know! Contact us, indicating the AAPB ID (cpb-aacip/500-6688mm89).
- This episode asks Does everyone welcome a changing South? The program notes that many Southerners resent the movement toward industrialization, fearing it will destroy their conception of tradition in the Old South. The program begins by airing arguments for and against industrialization and the economic incentives of creating new industry. One interviewee notes that plantations should be torn down for industrialization if that means job creation, which goes against the belief some people have who think these homes preserve Southern character. The narrator tours one of these plantations. The episode then discusses how the Old South can be used as a form of heritage tourism, which would become the setting for a booming economic business without industrialization that wrecks it landscape. The narrator discusses the benefits the South brings to the tourist industry. Dr. Walter B. Jones is interviewed as he tours the Blue Ridge Mountains into the rest of the South and discusses the attempts by businesses and infrastructure to support a tourist economy.
- A series of documentaries depicting the increasing importance of the South in the economic development of the United States. Narrated by Walt Whitaker, written and produced by Leroy Bannerman, with Dr. Walter B. Jones as senior consultant.
- Radio programs--United States.
- No copyright statement in content
- Media type
Narrator: Whitaker, Walter
Producer: Bannerman, Leroy
Producing Organization: University of Alabama
Writer: Bannerman, Leroy
Writer: Fund for Adult Education (U.S.)
Writer: Jones, Walter B., 1913-1992
- AAPB Contributor Holdings
University of Maryland
Identifier: 54-15-2 (National Association of Educational Broadcasters)
Format: 1/4 inch audio tape
If you have a copy of this asset and would like us to add it to our catalog, please contact us.
- Chicago: “Document: Deep South; Magnolias and the manufacturer,” 1954-01-01, University of Maryland, American Archive of Public Broadcasting (WGBH and the Library of Congress), Boston, MA and Washington, DC, accessed April 18, 2019, http://americanarchive.org/catalog/cpb-aacip_500-6688mm89.
- MLA: “Document: Deep South; Magnolias and the manufacturer.” 1954-01-01. University of Maryland, American Archive of Public Broadcasting (WGBH and the Library of Congress), Boston, MA and Washington, DC. Web. April 18, 2019. <http://americanarchive.org/catalog/cpb-aacip_500-6688mm89>.
- APA: Document: Deep South; Magnolias and the manufacturer. Boston, MA: University of Maryland, American Archive of Public Broadcasting (WGBH and the Library of Congress), Boston, MA and Washington, DC. Retrieved from http://americanarchive.org/catalog/cpb-aacip_500-6688mm89