Stokely Carmichael Interview
- Stokely Carmichael Interview
- Producing Organization
- KPFA (Radio station : Berkeley, Calif.)
- Contributing Organization
- Pacifica Radio Archives (North Hollywood, California)
- AAPB ID
If you have more information about this item than what is given here, we want to know! Contact us, indicating the AAPB ID (cpb-aacip/28-zw18k75h85).
- A discussion with Stokely Carmichael, field secretary of the Student Non-Violent Coordinating Committee (SNCC) in Lowndes County, Alabama. As an organizer of the Lowndes County Freedom Organization (LCFO), also known as the Black Panther Party, Carmichael discusses the importance of maintaining political power inside communities at the county level and of remaining outside of the Democratic Party to avoid compromises that would harm African Americans. The interview is conducted by Terence Cannon, editor of the West Coast newspaper of the Student Nonviolent Coordinating Committee. For information on Stokely Carmichael, see Peniel E. Joseph, Stokely: A Life (New York: Basic Civitas Books, 2014). For information on the Lowndes County Freedom Organization, see Hasan Kwame Jeffries, Bloody Lowndes: Civil Rights and Black Power in Alabama?s Black Belt (New York: New York University Press, 2009).
- Black Panther Party; Student Nonviolent Coordinating Committee (U.S.); African Americans--Civil rights--History
- Media type
Interviewee: Carmichael, Stokely
Interviewer: Cannon, Terence
Producing Organization: KPFA (Radio station : Berkeley, Calif.)
- AAPB Contributor Holdings
Pacifica Radio Archives
Identifier: 20660_D01 (Pacifica Radio Archives)
Format: 1/4 inch audio tape
Pacifica Radio Archives
Identifier: PRA_AAPP_BB0720_Stokely_Carmichael_interview (Filename)
Generation: Master: preservation
If you have a copy of this asset and would like us to add it to our catalog, please contact us.
- Chicago: “Stokely Carmichael Interview,” 1966-04-21, Pacifica Radio Archives, American Archive of Public Broadcasting (WGBH and the Library of Congress), Boston, MA and Washington, DC, accessed January 16, 2019, http://americanarchive.org/catalog/cpb-aacip_28-zw18k75h85.
- MLA: “Stokely Carmichael Interview.” 1966-04-21. Pacifica Radio Archives, American Archive of Public Broadcasting (WGBH and the Library of Congress), Boston, MA and Washington, DC. Web. January 16, 2019. <http://americanarchive.org/catalog/cpb-aacip_28-zw18k75h85>.
- APA: Stokely Carmichael Interview. Boston, MA: Pacifica Radio Archives, American Archive of Public Broadcasting (WGBH and the Library of Congress), Boston, MA and Washington, DC. Retrieved from http://americanarchive.org/catalog/cpb-aacip_28-zw18k75h85