American Archive of Public Broadcasting
Search the AAPB
If you have more information about this item than what is given here, we want to know! Contact us, indicating the AAPB ID (cpb-aacip/28-j09w08ws94).
- Contributing Organization
- Pacifica Radio Archives (North Hollywood, California)
- AAPB ID
- Pacifica Radio Archives
- In the summer of 1963, KPFA, KPFK, and WBAI scheduled regular hours for news updates "from the South" from their correspondent Dale Minor. This particular update follows an arrest in Savannah, Georgia, of civil rights activist Hosea Williams, the leader of the Chatham County Crusade for Voters, and ensuing demonstrations and violence. At a mass meeting, Rev. James Bevel of the Southern Christian Leadership Conference (SCLC), visiting from Mississippi, a veteran of the sit-in movement, the freedom rides, and the Birmingham campaign, speaks about the need to keep the movement non-violent and angrily castigates those who resort to violence because it endangers the movement. Bevel criticizes whites for desiring law and order and peace and quiet rather than justice and expresses disapproval of the civil rights bill that President Kennedy recently sent to Congress. Bevel is introduced by Rev. Andrew Young, another official of SCLC. Following his speech, Bevel leads the audience in the song, Which Side Are You On?
- Southern Christian Leadership Conference; African Americans--Civil rights--History
- Young, Andrew, Speaker
- Minor, Dale, Commentator
- Bevel, James, Southern Christian Leadership Conference, Speaker
- Media type
- Chicago: “Report from the South - James Bevel,” 1963-08-14, Pacifica Radio Archives, American Archive of Public Broadcasting (WGBH and the Library of Congress), Boston, MA and Washington, DC, accessed March 24, 2017, http://americanarchive.org/catalog/cpb-aacip_28-j09w08ws94.
- MLA: “Report from the South - James Bevel.” 1963-08-14. Pacifica Radio Archives, American Archive of Public Broadcasting (WGBH and the Library of Congress), Boston, MA and Washington, DC. Web. March 24, 2017. <http://americanarchive.org/catalog/cpb-aacip_28-j09w08ws94>.
- APA: Report from the South - James Bevel. Boston, MA: Pacifica Radio Archives, American Archive of Public Broadcasting (WGBH and the Library of Congress), Boston, MA and Washington, DC. Retrieved from http://americanarchive.org/catalog/cpb-aacip_28-j09w08ws94