The Sit-ins and the New South
- The Sit-ins and the New South
- Producing Organization
- KPFA (Radio station : Berkeley, Calif.)
- Contributing Organization
- Pacifica Radio Archives (North Hollywood, California)
- AAPB ID
If you have more information about this item than what is given here, we want to know! Contact us, indicating the AAPB ID (cpb-aacip/28-br8mc8rr6z).
- Priscilla Stephens, winner of the Gandhi Award from the Congress of Racial Equality (CORE), gives a first-hand account of student protests in Tallahassee, Florida, lecturing at the University of California during a fundraising tour for CORE. Stephens speaks to the audience about testing bus lines and lunch counters for violations of civil rights laws, sit-ins, freedom rides, and other nonviolent protests she organized to fight segregation in Tallahassee. A student at Florida A&M, Stephens, along with her sister Patricia, became a leader of CORE, prompting a national official of the organization to state, "To the Negro community she symbolizes their greatest hope for the future." For information on Stephens and the Tallahassee movement, see Glenda Alice Rabby, The Pain and the Promise: The Struggle for Civil Rights in Tallahassee, Florida (Athens, GA: University of Georgia Press, 1999).
- Congress of Racial Equality; Freedom Rides; Civil rights demonstrations; African Americans--Civil rights--History; Community organization--United States
- Media type
Producing Organization: KPFA (Radio station : Berkeley, Calif.)
Speaker: Stephens, Patricia
- AAPB Contributor Holdings
Pacifica Radio Archives
Identifier: 9892_D01 (Pacifica Radio Archives)
Format: 1/4 inch audio tape
Pacifica Radio Archives
Identifier: PRA_AAPP_BB0117_The_sit-ins_and_the_new_South (Filename)
Generation: Master: preservation
If you have a copy of this asset and would like us to add it to our catalog, please contact us.
- Chicago: “The Sit-ins and the New South,” 1960-09-12, Pacifica Radio Archives, American Archive of Public Broadcasting (WGBH and the Library of Congress), Boston, MA and Washington, DC, accessed January 16, 2019, http://americanarchive.org/catalog/cpb-aacip_28-br8mc8rr6z.
- MLA: “The Sit-ins and the New South.” 1960-09-12. Pacifica Radio Archives, American Archive of Public Broadcasting (WGBH and the Library of Congress), Boston, MA and Washington, DC. Web. January 16, 2019. <http://americanarchive.org/catalog/cpb-aacip_28-br8mc8rr6z>.
- APA: The Sit-ins and the New South. Boston, MA: Pacifica Radio Archives, American Archive of Public Broadcasting (WGBH and the Library of Congress), Boston, MA and Washington, DC. Retrieved from http://americanarchive.org/catalog/cpb-aacip_28-br8mc8rr6z