The Negro Lawyer in the South
- The Negro Lawyer in the South
- Producing Organization
- KPFA (Radio station : Berkeley, Calif.)
- Contributing Organization
- Pacifica Radio Archives (North Hollywood, California)
- AAPB ID
If you have more information about this item than what is given here, we want to know! Contact us, indicating the AAPB ID (cpb-aacip/28-4t6f18sn70).
- James R. Walker, Jr. of the North Carolina Bar speaks before a session devoted to the lawyer's role in the battle to eliminate racial segregation at the National Lawyer's Guild Convention in San Francisco. Walker speaks on his struggles as a Negro lawyer in the South and strategies fighting legal battles against discrimination in North Carolina, especially against literacy tests. He uses specific cases to illustrate his theme of the profound influence and effect of the ?unwritten law? on the legal system in the South. Walker?s efforts, legal historian John W. Wertheimer has noted, ?prompted both the General Assembly and the Supreme Court of North Carolina to make the state?s voter registration rules less discriminatory. The resulting reforms ? were substantial.? Walker?s career, Wertheimer writes, ?highlights an underappreciated aspect of civil rights during the 1950s and 1960s: grassroots litigation?that is, locally based efforts to achieve legal change through test cases in appellate courts.? For informatio
- National Lawyers Guild; North Carolina. Supreme Court; African Americans--Civil rights--History
- Media type
Producing Organization: KPFA (Radio station : Berkeley, Calif.)
Speaker: Walker, James R., Jr.
- AAPB Contributor Holdings
Pacifica Radio Archives
Identifier: 1954_D01 (Pacifica Radio Archives)
Format: 1/4 inch audio tape
Pacifica Radio Archives
Identifier: PRA_AAPP_BB0119_The_Negro_lawyer_in_the_South (Filename)
Generation: Master: preservation
If you have a copy of this asset and would like us to add it to our catalog, please contact us.
- Chicago: “The Negro Lawyer in the South,” 1960-10-14, Pacifica Radio Archives, American Archive of Public Broadcasting (WGBH and the Library of Congress), Boston, MA and Washington, DC, accessed January 16, 2019, http://americanarchive.org/catalog/cpb-aacip_28-4t6f18sn70.
- MLA: “The Negro Lawyer in the South.” 1960-10-14. Pacifica Radio Archives, American Archive of Public Broadcasting (WGBH and the Library of Congress), Boston, MA and Washington, DC. Web. January 16, 2019. <http://americanarchive.org/catalog/cpb-aacip_28-4t6f18sn70>.
- APA: The Negro Lawyer in the South. Boston, MA: Pacifica Radio Archives, American Archive of Public Broadcasting (WGBH and the Library of Congress), Boston, MA and Washington, DC. Retrieved from http://americanarchive.org/catalog/cpb-aacip_28-4t6f18sn70