The Civil Rights Lawyer in the South
- Producing Organization
- KPFA (Radio station : Berkeley, Calif.)
- Contributing Organization
- Pacifica Radio Archives (North Hollywood, California)
- AAPB ID
If you have more information about this item than what is given here, we want to know! Contact us, indicating the AAPB ID (cpb-aacip/28-1g0ht2gg9n).
- Thom Hurwitz interviews three lawyers working for the NAACP National Legal Defense and Educational Fund, Inc. (known colloquially as The Inc. Fund), whose function is ?to provide legal protection when persons are ? deprived of some right on the basis of color or [when] they are involved in civil rights demonstrations which are an attempt to communicate to the community their problems connected with race,? according to Leroy Clark, a Legal Defense Fund lawyer who had been working in St. Augustine, Florida. Charles Jones and Melvyn Zarr, who had been working in Selma, Alabama, and Jackson, Mississippi, respectively, also discuss their work. They successfully petition to remove to federal courts state cases that are concerned with federal constitutional protections, especially in instances when state courts are not liable to give civil rights defendants a fair trial. They also try to obtain federal court injunctions against state prosecutions and state harassment. The lawyers discuss movement activities in St. A
- NAACP Legal Defense and Educational Fund; African Americans--Civil rights--History; St. Augustine, Florida; Selma, Alabama; Tuscaloosa, Alabama; Mississippi
- Media type
Interviewee: Jones, Charles
Interviewee: Clark, Leroy
Interviewee: Zarr, Melvyn
Interviewer: Hurwitz, Thom
Producing Organization: KPFA (Radio station : Berkeley, Calif.)
- AAPB Contributor Holdings
Pacifica Radio Archives
Identifier: 2132_D01 (Pacifica Radio Archives)
Format: 1/4 inch audio tape
Pacifica Radio Archives
Identifier: PRA_AAPP_BB0467_The_Civil_Rights_lawyer_in_the_South (Filename)
Generation: Master: preservation
If you have a copy of this asset and would like us to add it to our catalog, please contact us.
- Chicago: “The Civil Rights Lawyer in the South,” 1964-08-05, Pacifica Radio Archives, American Archive of Public Broadcasting (WGBH and the Library of Congress), Boston, MA and Washington, DC, accessed November 19, 2018, http://americanarchive.org/catalog/cpb-aacip_28-1g0ht2gg9n.
- MLA: “The Civil Rights Lawyer in the South.” 1964-08-05. Pacifica Radio Archives, American Archive of Public Broadcasting (WGBH and the Library of Congress), Boston, MA and Washington, DC. Web. November 19, 2018. <http://americanarchive.org/catalog/cpb-aacip_28-1g0ht2gg9n>.
- APA: The Civil Rights Lawyer in the South. Boston, MA: Pacifica Radio Archives, American Archive of Public Broadcasting (WGBH and the Library of Congress), Boston, MA and Washington, DC. Retrieved from http://americanarchive.org/catalog/cpb-aacip_28-1g0ht2gg9n