Tribute to Ella Baker
- Tribute to Ella Baker
- Producing Organization
- Contributing Organization
- Pacifica Radio Archives (North Hollywood, California)
- AAPB ID
If you have more information about this item than what is given here, we want to know! Contact us, indicating the AAPB ID (cpb-aacip/28-125q814w5v).
- The Southern Conference Education Fund (SCEF) annual dinner held in Louisville honored Ella Baker, who has worked for many years behind the scenes in the civil rights movement. Speakers Anne Braden, Bob Zellner, Stokely Carmichael, H. Rap Brown, Karen Mulloy, and Howard Zinn, and emcee Floyd McKissick speak about Baker's contribution to the civil rights movement. Ella Baker speaks for the last portion of the broadcast about the importance of SCEF and the need to link the struggles for civil rights and civil liberties, ending poverty, and ending the Vietnam War. She stated that as a society we need to ask what is behind a number of current concerns: the war, urban rioting, black separatism, the recent arrest of Brown on charges of arson and inciting a riot in Cambridge, Maryland, and the trend toward repressive actions against those resisting war, racist repressions, poverty, and those exercising freedom of speech. For information on Ella Baker, see J. Todd Moye, Ella Baker: Community Organizer of the Civil Ri
- Southern Conference Educational Fund; African Americans--Civil rights--History
- Media type
Producing Organization: WBAI
Speaker: Carmichael, Stokely
Speaker: Brown, H. Rap
Speaker: Zellner, Robert
Speaker: Mulloy, Karen
Speaker: Braden, Anne
Speaker: Baker, Ella, 1903-1986
Speaker: McKissick, Floyd B.
Speaker: Zinn, Howard
- AAPB Contributor Holdings
Pacifica Radio Archives
Identifier: 20860_D01 (Pacifica Radio Archives)
Format: 1/4 inch audio tape
Pacifica Radio Archives
Identifier: PRA_AAPP_BB3142_Tribute_to_Ella_Baker (Filename)
Generation: Master: preservation
If you have a copy of this asset and would like us to add it to our catalog, please contact us.
- Chicago: “Tribute to Ella Baker,” 1968-07-20, Pacifica Radio Archives, American Archive of Public Broadcasting (WGBH and the Library of Congress), Boston, MA and Washington, DC, accessed January 16, 2019, http://americanarchive.org/catalog/cpb-aacip_28-125q814w5v.
- MLA: “Tribute to Ella Baker.” 1968-07-20. Pacifica Radio Archives, American Archive of Public Broadcasting (WGBH and the Library of Congress), Boston, MA and Washington, DC. Web. January 16, 2019. <http://americanarchive.org/catalog/cpb-aacip_28-125q814w5v>.
- APA: Tribute to Ella Baker. Boston, MA: Pacifica Radio Archives, American Archive of Public Broadcasting (WGBH and the Library of Congress), Boston, MA and Washington, DC. Retrieved from http://americanarchive.org/catalog/cpb-aacip_28-125q814w5v