American Archive of Public Broadcasting
Search the AAPB
If you have more information about this item than what is given here, we want to know! Contact us, indicating the AAPB ID (cpb-aacip/17-98z8xbjw).
- Louisiana: A History
- Raw Footage
- C.O. Simpkins Interview [Part 2 of 3]
- Contributing Organization
- Louisiana Public Broadcasting (Baton Rouge, Louisiana)
- AAPB ID
Please note: This content has not been digitized. For inquiries regarding access, please contact Louisiana Public Broadcasting.
- The second part of interview with C.O. Simpkins conducted for Louisiana: A History. Simpkins, a dentist, participated in the Civil Rights Movement in Shreveport, Louisiana, where he cofounded the United Christian Movement, served as a Vice President of the Southern Christian Leadership Conference and as a State Representative from 1992-1996. He discusses the problems facing African Americans in Shreveport during segregation; organizing Martin Luther King, Jr.\0xFFFDs visit to Shreveport and its effect on local Civil Rights activities; the bombing of his house; the outlawing of the NAACP in Louisiana and the subsequent formation of the United Christian Movement; the integration of the American Dental Association; his political career and service in the state legislature; the drug problem in the African American community; and the need for forgiveness in moving forward in race relations.
- CivilRights: Boycotts; CivilRights: Demonstrations; Civil Rights: Local Events; Civil Rights: Voting Rights; Civil Rights: African American Civil Rights; Civil Rights: White Resistance; Louisiana; Segregation; African Americans; Civil Rights; Violence; Discrimination; Politics; Naacp; Drugs
- Louisiana Public Broadcasting, Production Unit
- Laudun, Tika, Interviewer
- Laudun, Tika, Producer
- Godoy, Al, Associate Producer
- Melton, Christina, Associate Producer
- Simpkins, C.O., Interviewee
- Louisiana Educational Television Authority, Copyright Holder
- Louisiana Educational Television Authority/Louisiana Public Broadcasting. Restricted Use. For permission or licensing information contact: email@example.com
- Media type
- Moving Image
- Chicago: “Louisiana: A History; C.O. Simpkins Interview [Part 2 of 3],” Louisiana Public Broadcasting, American Archive of Public Broadcasting (WGBH and the Library of Congress), Boston, MA and Washington, DC, accessed March 25, 2017, http://americanarchive.org/catalog/cpb-aacip_17-98z8xbjw.
- MLA: “Louisiana: A History; C.O. Simpkins Interview [Part 2 of 3].” Louisiana Public Broadcasting, American Archive of Public Broadcasting (WGBH and the Library of Congress), Boston, MA and Washington, DC. Web. March 25, 2017. <http://americanarchive.org/catalog/cpb-aacip_17-98z8xbjw>.
- APA: Louisiana: A History; C.O. Simpkins Interview [Part 2 of 3]. Boston, MA: Louisiana Public Broadcasting, American Archive of Public Broadcasting (WGBH and the Library of Congress), Boston, MA and Washington, DC. Retrieved from http://americanarchive.org/catalog/cpb-aacip_17-98z8xbjw