American Archive of Public Broadcasting
Search the AAPB
If you have more information about this item than what is given here, we want to know! Contact us, indicating the AAPB ID (cpb-aacip/15-qn5z60c97r).
- Ten O'Clock News
- Contributing Organization
- WGBH (Boston, Massachusetts)
- AAPB ID
- Packaged news story with reporter Meg Vaillancourt. In 1990, Harvard Law School had 65 tenured and tenure-track professors. Fifty-five were white men; none were women of color. To protest alongside student activists against this lack of diversity, Professor Derrick Bell threatened to permanently leave Harvard unless the law school hired a black female professor for a tenure-track position. In this news story, Derrick Bell announces his decision to take an unpaid leave until this goal is reached. Students march, chant, cheer and raise arms in solidarity. Law student Barack Obama is visible among the crowd of supporters in the edited story, and he introduces Derrick Bell in the added b-roll. The unedited B-roll includes Barack Obama's speech and the crowd's reaction. Ultimately, Bell lost his tenure when he did not return in 1992. Harvard Law hired its first woman of color for a tenure-track position in 1998.
- Asset type
- Bell, Derrick A.; Affirmative action programs; Universities and colleges; Speeches, addresses, etc.; Discrimination; Student protesters; Harvard University; Obama, Barack
- Vaillancourt, Meg, Wardrobe
- WGBH Educational Foundation, Distributor
- Rights Note:,Rights:,Rights Credit:WGBH Educational Foundation,Rights Type:All,Rights Coverage:,Rights Holder:WGBH Educational Foundation
- Media type
- Moving Image
- Chicago: “Ten O'Clock News; Derrick Bell threatens to leave Harvard,” 1990-04-24, WGBH, American Archive of Public Broadcasting (WGBH and the Library of Congress), Boston, MA and Washington, DC, accessed February 27, 2017, http://americanarchive.org/catalog/cpb-aacip_15-qn5z60c97r.
- MLA: “Ten O'Clock News; Derrick Bell threatens to leave Harvard.” 1990-04-24. WGBH, American Archive of Public Broadcasting (WGBH and the Library of Congress), Boston, MA and Washington, DC. Web. February 27, 2017. <http://americanarchive.org/catalog/cpb-aacip_15-qn5z60c97r>.
- APA: Ten O'Clock News; Derrick Bell threatens to leave Harvard. Boston, MA: WGBH, American Archive of Public Broadcasting (WGBH and the Library of Congress), Boston, MA and Washington, DC. Retrieved from http://americanarchive.org/catalog/cpb-aacip_15-qn5z60c97r