Mississippi Project; Andrew Young Interview / Ted Mascott
- Mississippi Project
- Contributing Organization
- WGBH (Boston, Massachusetts)
- AAPB ID
If you have more information about this item than what is given here, we want to know! Contact us, indicating the AAPB ID (cpb-aacip/15-95q4rk9v).
- In this recording, Ted Mascott speaks with Andrew Young of the SCLC (Southern Christian Leadership Conference), who reports on his group's attempts to peacefully protest and march in St. Augustine, Florida on June 10, 1964. Despite judge-ordered protection by police, the group was nevertheless attacked by a group of white men. Young speaks about their plans to continue marching despite the violence and says that Martin Luther King Jr. will join them in the morning. The pair also speaks about hurt protesters and discusses the small group of white protesters who came from northern cities to support the organization. The Southern Christian Leadership Conference (SCLC) had been marching in St. Augustine for "full and equal justice in America's oldest city" regularly that June to protest segregation. Groups of white men often harassed the peaceful marchers and sometimes attacked them as they attempted to go home following a protest.
- Asset type
- African Americans Politics and government; Civil Rights; Demonstrations; Civil Rights Leaders; Violence and society; Southern Christian Leadership Conference
- Rights Note:Not to be released to Open Vault.,Rights Type:Web,Rights Credit:,Rights Holder:
- Rights Note:It is the responsibility of a production to investigate and re-clear all rights before re-use in any project.,Rights Type:,Rights Credit:,Rights Holder:WGBH Educational Foundation
- Media type
Host: Mascott, Ted
Interviewee: Young, Andrew, 1932-
Publisher: WGBH Educational Foundation
- AAPB Contributor Holdings
Identifier: caa92ccb1ee630f32e63d7eda22db1fbdc2216ec (ArtesiaDAM UOI_ID)
If you have a copy of this asset and would like us to add it to our catalog, please contact us.
- Chicago: “Mississippi Project; Andrew Young Interview / Ted Mascott,” 1964-06-10, WGBH, American Archive of Public Broadcasting (WGBH and the Library of Congress), Boston, MA and Washington, DC, accessed November 20, 2018, http://americanarchive.org/catalog/cpb-aacip_15-95q4rk9v.
- MLA: “Mississippi Project; Andrew Young Interview / Ted Mascott.” 1964-06-10. WGBH, American Archive of Public Broadcasting (WGBH and the Library of Congress), Boston, MA and Washington, DC. Web. November 20, 2018. <http://americanarchive.org/catalog/cpb-aacip_15-95q4rk9v>.
- APA: Mississippi Project; Andrew Young Interview / Ted Mascott. Boston, MA: WGBH, American Archive of Public Broadcasting (WGBH and the Library of Congress), Boston, MA and Washington, DC. Retrieved from http://americanarchive.org/catalog/cpb-aacip_15-95q4rk9v