One Year Later In Mississippi
- One Year Later In Mississippi
- Producing Organization
- WGBH Educational Foundation
- Contributing Organization
- WGBH (Boston, Massachusetts)
- AAPB ID
If you have more information about this item than what is given here, we want to know! Contact us, indicating the AAPB ID (cpb-aacip/15-88qc028z).
- Filmmaker Ed Pincus discusses the civil rights movement in Natchez, MS, in April 1967, on his return to the city two years after he had made the documentary Black Natchez for National Educational Television. As a center of Ku Klux Klan activity, Natchez, according to Pincus, had not experienced much civil rights activities until 1965 because of fear of violence from the Klan in the African American community. Pincus chose Natchez for his film in order to document the impact of the civil rights movement on a black community. Pincus discusses Klan violence, problems he encountered in making the film, the relationship between the two civil rights organizations working in Natchez, the NAACP and the Mississippi Freedom Democratic Party, increased engagement of the local black community as a response to acts of violence by the Klan, and criticism of the portrayal of the NAACP by that organization?s leader, Roy Wilkins. For information on the Natchez movement, see John Dittmer, Local People: The Struggle for Civil
- Social Issues
- Community organization--United States; African Americans--Civil rights--History
- Media type
Interviewee: Pincus, Ed
Producing Organization: WGBH Educational Foundation
Production Unit: Radio
- AAPB Contributor Holdings
Identifier: 67-3004-00-00-001 (WGBH Item ID)
Format: 1/4 inch audio tape
If you have a copy of this asset and would like us to add it to our catalog, please contact us.
- Chicago: “One Year Later In Mississippi,” 1967-04-00, WGBH, American Archive of Public Broadcasting (WGBH and the Library of Congress), Boston, MA and Washington, DC, accessed January 16, 2019, http://americanarchive.org/catalog/cpb-aacip_15-88qc028z.
- MLA: “One Year Later In Mississippi.” 1967-04-00. WGBH, American Archive of Public Broadcasting (WGBH and the Library of Congress), Boston, MA and Washington, DC. Web. January 16, 2019. <http://americanarchive.org/catalog/cpb-aacip_15-88qc028z>.
- APA: One Year Later In Mississippi. Boston, MA: WGBH, American Archive of Public Broadcasting (WGBH and the Library of Congress), Boston, MA and Washington, DC. Retrieved from http://americanarchive.org/catalog/cpb-aacip_15-88qc028z