Long, Hot Summer '64; Episode 10
- Long, Hot Summer '64
- Episode 10
- Producing Organization
- WGBH Educational Foundation
- Contributing Organization
- WGBH (Boston, Massachusetts)
- AAPB ID
If you have more information about this item than what is given here, we want to know! Contact us, indicating the AAPB ID (cpb-aacip/15-87brvgm3).
- In the tenth in a series of weekly news reports documenting the civil rights movement during the summer of 1964, Cindy Chutter reports on recent municipal elections in Tuskegee, Alabama, which she observed, and in Fayette, Tennessee, areas in which African Americans registered voters were in the majority for the first time. In both areas, however, election results were disappointing for civil rights supporters. Rick Lee reports on a meeting in the Massachusetts State House in Boston to decide whether the Massachusetts Democratic Party would join seven other state delegations and the delegation from the District of Columbia to support the seating of the Mississippi Freedom Democratic Party (MFDP) at the upcoming Democratic Party Convention in Atlantic City. National Chairman of the Congress of Racial Equality (CORE) James Farmer, in Boston to testify at the State House in favor of seating the MFDP delegates, holds a press conference. In Washington, D.C., Bill Higgs, working with the MFDP on the national level, discusses President Johnsons efforts to keep the MFDP from being seated and reports that state courts in Mississippi have issued injunctions to bar the MFDP from meeting and from going to the convention. The series was produced for the Educational Radio Network.
- African Americans--Civil rights--History; Tuskegee, Alabama; Fayette, Tennessee; Mississippi Freedom Democratic Party
- Media type
Interviewee: Higgs, Bill
Producer: Mascott, Ted
Producing Organization: WGBH Educational Foundation
Reporter: Lee, Rick
Reporter: Chutter, Cindy
Speaker: Farmer, James
Writer: Mascott, Ted
- AAPB Contributor Holdings
Identifier: 64-0037-08-13-001 (WGBH Item ID)
Format: 1/4 inch audio tape
If you have a copy of this asset and would like us to add it to our catalog, please contact us.
- Chicago: “Long, Hot Summer '64; Episode 10,” 1964-08-13, WGBH, American Archive of Public Broadcasting (WGBH and the Library of Congress), Boston, MA and Washington, DC, accessed April 21, 2019, http://americanarchive.org/catalog/cpb-aacip_15-87brvgm3.
- MLA: “Long, Hot Summer '64; Episode 10.” 1964-08-13. WGBH, American Archive of Public Broadcasting (WGBH and the Library of Congress), Boston, MA and Washington, DC. Web. April 21, 2019. <http://americanarchive.org/catalog/cpb-aacip_15-87brvgm3>.
- APA: Long, Hot Summer '64; Episode 10. Boston, MA: WGBH, American Archive of Public Broadcasting (WGBH and the Library of Congress), Boston, MA and Washington, DC. Retrieved from http://americanarchive.org/catalog/cpb-aacip_15-87brvgm3