New England Scene; St. Augustine
- New England Scene
- St. Augustine
- Producing Organization
- WGBH Educational Foundation
- Contributing Organization
- WGBH (Boston, Massachusetts)
- AAPB ID
If you have more information about this item than what is given here, we want to know! Contact us, indicating the AAPB ID (cpb-aacip/15-7634v366).
- In this recording, Ted Mascott interviews Fred Martin, a civil rights supporter in St. Augustine, about his impressions of the march from that evening, June 10th, 1964, which again ended in violence. Marching to the Old Slave Market in the center of St. Augustine, protesters were attacked by white agitators who threw bricks and concrete from structures they had destroyed in the park at the marchers. The Southern Christian Leadership Conference (SCLC) had been marching in St. Augustine for "full and equal justice in America's oldest city" regularly that June to protest segregation. Groups of white men often harassed the peaceful marchers, and sometimes attacked them later as they attempted to go home following a protest. Following the Martin interview, Mascott reads the latest AP wire regarding the violence. The AP reports crowd of 400 marchers encountered 300 agitators who only dispersed after police used tear gas and dogs. The report also states that Martin Luther King Jr. will appeal to President Lyndon Joh
- Media type
Host: Mascott, Ted
Interviewee: Martin, Fred
Producing Organization: WGBH Educational Foundation
Production Unit: Radio
- AAPB Contributor Holdings
Identifier: 64-0033-06-10-002 (WGBH Item ID)
Format: 1/4 inch audio tape
If you have a copy of this asset and would like us to add it to our catalog, please contact us.
- Chicago: “New England Scene; St. Augustine,” 1964-06-10, WGBH, American Archive of Public Broadcasting (WGBH and the Library of Congress), Boston, MA and Washington, DC, accessed November 19, 2018, http://americanarchive.org/catalog/cpb-aacip_15-7634v366.
- MLA: “New England Scene; St. Augustine.” 1964-06-10. WGBH, American Archive of Public Broadcasting (WGBH and the Library of Congress), Boston, MA and Washington, DC. Web. November 19, 2018. <http://americanarchive.org/catalog/cpb-aacip_15-7634v366>.
- APA: New England Scene; St. Augustine. Boston, MA: WGBH, American Archive of Public Broadcasting (WGBH and the Library of Congress), Boston, MA and Washington, DC. Retrieved from http://americanarchive.org/catalog/cpb-aacip_15-7634v366