Long, Hot Summer '64; Episode 1
- Long, Hot Summer '64
- Episode 1
- Producing Organization
- WGBH Educational Foundation
- Contributing Organization
- WGBH (Boston, Massachusetts)
- AAPB ID
If you have more information about this item than what is given here, we want to know! Contact us, indicating the AAPB ID (cpb-aacip/15-50tqk2fw).
- The first in a series of weekly news reports documenting the civil rights movement during the summer of 1964 includes telephone interviews of participants in St. Augustine, Florida, demonstrations. Rev. C. T. Vivian, director of affiliates of the Southern Christian Leadership Conference (SCLC), describes the arrest earlier that day, June 11, 1964, of Rev. Martin Luther King, Jr. and 14 others when they attempted to eat at the segregated Monson Motel, and plans for other groups to arrive in the city to participate in protests. Reporters, Dr. Robert Hayling, the head of the movement in St. Augustine, and two chaplains from Boston University, Bill England and Eugene Dawson, describe beatings during demonstrations that day and during the previous two evenings. The series was produced for the Educational Radio Network. For information on the St. Augustine movement, see David J. Garrow, ed., St. Augustine, Florida, 1963-1964: Mass Protest and Racial Violence (Brooklyn: Carlson Publishing, 1989).
- African Americans--Civil rights--History
- Media type
Interviewee: Vivian, C.T.
Interviewee: Hayling, Robert
Interviewee: England, Bill
Interviewee: Dawson, Eugene
Producer: Mascott, Ted
Producing Organization: WGBH Educational Foundation
Production Unit: Radio
Reporter: Conley, T.F.
Reporter: Brown, Jonathan
- AAPB Contributor Holdings
Identifier: 64-0037-06-11-001 (WGBH Item ID)
Format: 1/4 inch audio tape
If you have a copy of this asset and would like us to add it to our catalog, please contact us.
- Chicago: “Long, Hot Summer '64; Episode 1,” 1964-06-11, WGBH, American Archive of Public Broadcasting (WGBH and the Library of Congress), Boston, MA and Washington, DC, accessed December 15, 2018, http://americanarchive.org/catalog/cpb-aacip_15-50tqk2fw.
- MLA: “Long, Hot Summer '64; Episode 1.” 1964-06-11. WGBH, American Archive of Public Broadcasting (WGBH and the Library of Congress), Boston, MA and Washington, DC. Web. December 15, 2018. <http://americanarchive.org/catalog/cpb-aacip_15-50tqk2fw>.
- APA: Long, Hot Summer '64; Episode 1. Boston, MA: WGBH, American Archive of Public Broadcasting (WGBH and the Library of Congress), Boston, MA and Washington, DC. Retrieved from http://americanarchive.org/catalog/cpb-aacip_15-50tqk2fw