Long, Hot Summer '64; Episode Two
- Long, Hot Summer '64
- Episode Two
- Producing Organization
- WGBH Educational Foundation
- Contributing Organization
- WGBH (Boston, Massachusetts)
- AAPB ID
If you have more information about this item than what is given here, we want to know! Contact us, indicating the AAPB ID (cpb-aacip/15-02c86fs0).
- The second in a series of weekly news reports documenting the civil rights movement during the summer of 1964 includes a report by Paul Cowan from an Oxford, Ohio, Council of Federated Organizations (COFO) training program to prepare teachers in the Mississippi Summer Project and reactions there to the news that three colleagues, Andrew Goodman, James Chaney, and Michael Schwerner have mysteriously disappeared. Latest Associated Press news on the workers. A telephone conversation with Jim Jackson, leader of local youth council in SA, wadein. Blocked by group. Close to 50, two whites from Gainsville. White female attacked. Hell broke loose. Police arrested and order us off beach. Wade-in attempts at beach. Two leaders of group arrested. Why? NV, bt if beat, arrested for fighting. AP comments: another attempt produced a brawl. Accepted a dare. Spoke with FM. Grand jury handled down recommendation. Said that N should cease demos for 30 days and would then consider an biracial committee. Info that head is a segregationist. Reaction to Dr. Ks statement: typical white reaction. Bites hand. Groups better organized now. Read letter to editor. Interview by Barbara Miller. A liberal from Mississippi. Q about whether could accomplish more by staying home. Produced for the Educational Radio Network. For information on the St. Augustine movement, see David J. Garrow, ed., St. Augustine, Florida, 1963-1964: Mass Protest and Racial Violence (Brooklyn: Carlson Publishing, 1989). What will be the effect in both community. Hope they can make contact with blacks. By talking with them can give enthusiasm.
- African Americans--Civil rights--History
- Media type
Interviewee: Hayling, R.B.
Interviewee: England, Bill
Interviewee: Dawson, Eugene
Producer: Mascott, Ted
Producing Organization: WGBH Educational Foundation
Production Unit: Radio
Reporter: Conley, T.F.
Reporter: Brown, Jonathan
- AAPB Contributor Holdings
Identifier: 64-0037-06-25-001 (WGBH Item ID)
Format: 1/4 inch audio tape
If you have a copy of this asset and would like us to add it to our catalog, please contact us.
- Chicago: “Long, Hot Summer '64; Episode Two,” 1964-06-18, WGBH, American Archive of Public Broadcasting (WGBH and the Library of Congress), Boston, MA and Washington, DC, accessed March 22, 2019, http://americanarchive.org/catalog/cpb-aacip_15-02c86fs0.
- MLA: “Long, Hot Summer '64; Episode Two.” 1964-06-18. WGBH, American Archive of Public Broadcasting (WGBH and the Library of Congress), Boston, MA and Washington, DC. Web. March 22, 2019. <http://americanarchive.org/catalog/cpb-aacip_15-02c86fs0>.
- APA: Long, Hot Summer '64; Episode Two. Boston, MA: WGBH, American Archive of Public Broadcasting (WGBH and the Library of Congress), Boston, MA and Washington, DC. Retrieved from http://americanarchive.org/catalog/cpb-aacip_15-02c86fs0