Bill Moyers on Faith and Reason; 101; Salman Rushdie
- Episode Number
- Salman Rushdie
- Contributing Organization
- Public Affairs Television & Doctoroff Media Group (New York, New York)
- AAPB ID
- Episode Description
- Bill talks to the writer Salman Rushdie about the politicization of religion and its implications for artists. In 2007 Rushdie received knighthood in the Queen’s Birthday Honours. His novel, MIDNIGHT’S CHILDREN, was named the Best of the Booker – the best winner in the award’s 40-year history – by a public vote. Rushdie is most known for his 1988 novel THE SATANIC VERSES which led to the powerful Ayatollah Khomeini, the supreme leader of Iran, to issue a fatwa, calling on Muslims world-wide to kill the apostate Rushdie wherever they found him. Now that Rushdie has emerged from hiding, he has headed PEN — the organization of poets, essayists and novelists that works world-wide for freedom of speech and conscience. Rushdie says to Moyers, "I would argue that our sense of good and evil, our sense of right and wrong, our moral sense precedes religion."
- Series Description
- BILL MOYERS ON FAITH AND REASON features provocative conversations with unique voices drawn from the 2006 PEN World Voices Festival on Faith and Reason in New York: Margaret Atwood, Mary Gordon, Richard Rodriguez, Salman Rushdie, Sir John Houghton and others. Moyers takes viewers on a rare journey deep into these writers’ work and their own experience to plumb new ways of thinking about the role of religion in shaping our world. Reverent, irreverent, thoughtful and often humorous, these authors deliver fresh perspectives that tap into an undercurrent in the national discussion and will resonate with the religious, the non-religious, and those in between.
- Broadcast Date
- Asset type
- Talk Show
- Copyright Holder: Doctoroff Media Group LLC
- Media type
- Moving Image
: Meerow, Jennifer
: Wharton, Rebecca
Associate Producer: Allen, Reniqua
Director: Ganguzza, Mark
Editor: Erskine, Lewis
Editor: Fredericks, Andrew
Editor: Moyers, Judith Davidson
Executive Producer: Doctoroff O'Neill, Judy
Executive Producer: Firestone, Felice
Producer: Roy, Sally
- AAPB Contributor Holdings
Public Affairs Television & Doctoroff Media Group
Identifier: cpb-aacip-1d2da69e8dd (Filename)
If you have a copy of this asset and would like us to add it to our catalog, please contact us.
- Chicago: “Bill Moyers on Faith and Reason; 101; Salman Rushdie,” 2006-06-07, Public Affairs Television & Doctoroff Media Group, American Archive of Public Broadcasting (GBH and the Library of Congress), Boston, MA and Washington, DC, accessed October 1, 2023, http://americanarchive.org/catalog/cpb-aacip-9fec897935a.
- MLA: “Bill Moyers on Faith and Reason; 101; Salman Rushdie.” 2006-06-07. Public Affairs Television & Doctoroff Media Group, American Archive of Public Broadcasting (GBH and the Library of Congress), Boston, MA and Washington, DC. Web. October 1, 2023. <http://americanarchive.org/catalog/cpb-aacip-9fec897935a>.
- APA: Bill Moyers on Faith and Reason; 101; Salman Rushdie. Boston, MA: Public Affairs Television & Doctoroff Media Group, American Archive of Public Broadcasting (GBH and the Library of Congress), Boston, MA and Washington, DC. Retrieved from http://americanarchive.org/catalog/cpb-aacip-9fec897935a
- Supplemental Materials