In the Life; Episode 1201; 11th Season Premiere; Season 11
- In the Life
- Episode Number
- Episode 1201
- 11th Season Premiere
- Season 11
- Producing Organization
- In The Life Media
- Contributing Organization
- UCLA Film & Television Archive (Los Angeles, California)
- AAPB ID
If you have more information about this item than what is given here, or if you have concerns about this record, we want to know! Contact us, indicating the AAPB ID (cpb-aacip-16335024171).
- Episode Description
- The first episode of season eleven begins with the segment, Legal strangers, in which Jonathan Capehart reports about Sharon Smith's fight for same-sex spousal rights after her partner, Diane Whipple, was killed in a dog attack in San Francisco. The Real to reel segment profiles the film, Family fundamentals, and interviews filmmaker Arthur Dong. The Centers of faith segment spotlights gay and lesbian churches in Los Angeles and Dallas. The Out & about segment covers seven gay couples in New Jersey, Bill T. Jones, a rainbow flag exhibit, and the Gay Games in Sydney. The Hairspray segment looks at the Broadway musical. Harvey Fierstein talks about voting in the episode's Out takes segment. Dan Butler provides a PSA about Kathy Kozachenko, the first openly gay candidate in Maryland. Other PSAs include Rachel True discussing Tammy Baldwin, Dirk Shafer talking about Althea Garrison, the first transgendered person to win a seat in any U.S. legislature, and Paris Barclay encouraging voting in 2002. Beth Anthony provides the Celebrity ID.
- Series Description
- In the Life began in 1992 as a variety show and later evolved into a news magazine program in 1993.
- Created Date
- Asset type
- Same-sex marriage -- Law and legislation -- California; Whipple, Diane, 1968-2001; Lesbians -- Religious life -- United States; Dog attacks -- California -- San Francisco; Homosexuality -- United States -- History; Shaiman, Marc Hairspray; Jones, Bill T; Gay Games; Voting -- United States; Gays -- Religious life -- United States
- Media type
- Moving Image
Commentator: Fierstein, Harvey, 1954-
Commentator: Butler, Dan, 1954-
Commentator: Shafer, Dirk, 1962-
Commentator: True, Rachel
Commentator: Barclay, Paris
Commentator: Anthony, Beth
Host: Bartlett, John, 1963-
Interviewee: Smith, Sharon (Activist)
Interviewee: Dong, Arthur
Producer: Fisher, Lisa J.
Producer: Swartz, Nancy
Producer: Hopper, Scott (Television producer)
Producer: Karslake, Daniel
Producer: Swift, Andrea
Producing Organization: In The Life Media
Reporter: Capehart, Jonathan
- AAPB Contributor Holdings
UCLA Film & Television Archive
Identifier: cpb-aacip-88eab6bc459 (Filename)
Format: Zip drive
If you have a copy of this asset and would like us to add it to our catalog, please contact us.
- Chicago: “In the Life; Episode 1201; 11th Season Premiere; Season 11,” 2002-10, UCLA Film & Television Archive, American Archive of Public Broadcasting (GBH and the Library of Congress), Boston, MA and Washington, DC, accessed April 2, 2023, http://americanarchive.org/catalog/cpb-aacip-16335024171.
- MLA: “In the Life; Episode 1201; 11th Season Premiere; Season 11.” 2002-10. UCLA Film & Television Archive, American Archive of Public Broadcasting (GBH and the Library of Congress), Boston, MA and Washington, DC. Web. April 2, 2023. <http://americanarchive.org/catalog/cpb-aacip-16335024171>.
- APA: In the Life; Episode 1201; 11th Season Premiere; Season 11. Boston, MA: UCLA Film & Television Archive, American Archive of Public Broadcasting (GBH and the Library of Congress), Boston, MA and Washington, DC. Retrieved from http://americanarchive.org/catalog/cpb-aacip-16335024171