History

The University of Houston began as Houston Junior College in 1927 under the administration of the Houston Independent School District. In 1934, as the result of legislation signed by Governor Miriam A. Ferguson, two additional years of study were added to the curriculum, and the school was reconceived as the University of Houston (UH). From its early years, UH’s mission was to educate the working class men and women of Houston and the surrounding area and saw significant growth during the post-WWII era. In 1950, UH launched the nation’s first university-licensed radio station, KUHF-FM, and on May 25, 1953, the university-owned television station KUHT went on the air as the first television station in the United States to broadcast under an educational non-profit license. Today, UH serves over 43,000 students and is the second most diverse university in the nation.