WFMU first went on the air in April 1958, then a part of Uppsala College in East Orange, New Jersey. Shortly before Uppsala's bankruptcy filing and closure on May 31, 1995, a group of station executives, personnel, and supporters formed Auricle Communications and bought the license from the college, making it a fully independent radio station. In August 1998 the station's studios and offices were relocated to a Jersey City facility purchased with listener donations. WFMU now broadcasts terrestrially and online. It has been the subject of various articles, books, and even a film.