New York Voices; 607; Maya Lin and Jane Jacobs
- New York Voices
- Episode Number
- Maya Lin and Jane Jacobs
- Producing Organization
- Thirteen WNET
- Contributing Organization
- Thirteen WNET (New York, New York)
- AAPB ID
If you have more information about this item than what is given here, we want to know! Contact us, indicating the AAPB ID (cpb-aacip/75-56zw43qh).
- Tonight New York Voices looks at two women who have had a profound effect on our urban and cultural landscape. First, Rafael Pi Roman sits down with New-York based architect and artist Maya Lin, who first came to fame when she created the Vietnam Veterans' Memorial in Washington D.C. The daughter of immigrants, Lin discusses her personal ties to her latest project: designing a new home for New York's Museum of the Chinese in the Americas. We also pay tribute to the late Jane Jacobs, author and urban analyst whose philosophies on urban planning have made a lasting impact on how New York City functions and thrives. The segment features Columbia University historian Ken Jackson, New Yorker critic Paul Goldberger, and Jason Epstein, who was Jacobs' longtime editor. They reflect on Jacobs' legacy, including her successful fight in the 1960s against a six-lane highway that would have sliced through SoHo. We close with a story on the Sanborn Company, which has been documenting the city's changing landscape since the 1860s. Sanborn Maps, originally created for fire insurance companies, recorded nearly every detail of every block and sidewalk in New York, from fire hydrants to back porches. Recently, the company contributed aerial photography of Manhattan Island to Google's online mapping software.
- New York Voices is a news magazine made up of segments featuring profiles and interviews with New Yorkers talking about the issues affecting New York.
- Asset type
- Copyright 2006 Educational Broadcast Corp
- Media type
- Moving Image
Producing Organization: Thirteen WNET
- AAPB Contributor Holdings
Thirteen - New York Public Media (WNET)
Identifier: wnet_aacip_23203 (WNET Archive)
Format: Betacam Digital (Digi Beta)
Generation: Master: backup
If you have a copy of this asset and would like us to add it to our catalog, please contact us.
- Chicago: “New York Voices; 607; Maya Lin and Jane Jacobs,” 2006-05-12, Thirteen WNET, American Archive of Public Broadcasting (WGBH and the Library of Congress), Boston, MA and Washington, DC, accessed April 18, 2019, http://americanarchive.org/catalog/cpb-aacip_75-56zw43qh.
- MLA: “New York Voices; 607; Maya Lin and Jane Jacobs.” 2006-05-12. Thirteen WNET, American Archive of Public Broadcasting (WGBH and the Library of Congress), Boston, MA and Washington, DC. Web. April 18, 2019. <http://americanarchive.org/catalog/cpb-aacip_75-56zw43qh>.
- APA: New York Voices; 607; Maya Lin and Jane Jacobs. Boston, MA: Thirteen WNET, American Archive of Public Broadcasting (WGBH and the Library of Congress), Boston, MA and Washington, DC. Retrieved from http://americanarchive.org/catalog/cpb-aacip_75-56zw43qh