Firing Line with William F. Buckley Jr.; S0401; Presidential Hopeful: Ronald Reagan
This record is featured in “Firing Line.”
- Episode Number
- Producing Organization
- Southern Educational Communications Association
- South Carolina Educational Television Network
- Contributing Organization
- Hoover Institution Library & Archives, Stanford University (Stanford, California)
- AAPB ID
If you have more information about this item than what is given here, we want to know! Contact us, indicating the AAPB ID (cpb-aacip/514-9s1kh0fp9c).
- The wish was father to the thought: instead of asking Mr. Reagan conventionally worded questions about his candidacy, as he had done Messrs. Dole and Anderson and Crane, WFB addressed his guest (without advance warning) as if the inauguration had already taken place: "I should like to begin by asking President Reagan: What would you do if, say, one afternoon you were advised that a race riot had broken out in Detroit?" RR: "Well, I would be inclined to say that that was a problem for the local authorities in Detroit, unless those local authorities were unable to control the situation...." A discussion full of substance-on topics ranging from Yugoslavia and Czechoslovakia, to the way government bonds should be issued, to the still-ongoing energy crisis, to the still-high unemployment-but also a delicious dress rehearsal: WFB: "Mr. President, the CIA has complained to you that it cannot discharge some of the recent directives that the National Security Council has given it as a result of its having been hamstrung by a number of provisions insisted on by Senator Church three or four years ago. How would you handle that dilemma?" RR: "Why, I'm surprised that they're complaining, because one of the first things I did when I took office was ask Congress to repeal those restrictions that were put on by Senator Church."
- The television series Firing Line with William F. Buckley Jr. was a venue for debate and discussion on political, social, and philosophical issues with experts of the day. Firing Line broadcasts from 1966 through March 1971 were produced and syndicated by WOR-TV, a commercial station in New York, but some of them were also broadcast on noncommercial television stations. Starting in April 1971, Firing Line broadcasts were produced by the Southern Educational Communications Association, an arm of South Carolina Educational Television. Hoover Institution Library & Archives' Firing Line collection guide can be found at: https://www.hoover.org/library-archives/collections/firing-line.
- Asset type
- Talk Show
- Public Affairs
- Reagan, Ronald; United States; election; Presidents; political campaigns; presidential candidates
- Copyright held by Stanford University. This copy is provided for educational and research purposes only. No publication, further reproduction, or reuse of copies, beyond fair use, may be made without the express written permission of the Hoover Institution Library & Archives on behalf of Stanford University.
- Media type
- Moving Image
Guest: Reagan, Ronald
Guest: Plate, Thomas
Host: Buckley, William F., Jr.
Producing Organization: Southern Educational Communications Association
Producing Organization: South Carolina Educational Television Network
- AAPB Contributor Holdings
Identifier: 80040.644 (Hoover Institution)
If you have a copy of this asset and would like us to add it to our catalog, please contact us.
- Chicago: “Firing Line with William F. Buckley Jr.; S0401; Presidential Hopeful: Ronald Reagan,” 1980-01-14, Hoover Institution Library & Archives, Stanford University, American Archive of Public Broadcasting (WGBH and the Library of Congress), Boston, MA and Washington, DC, accessed November 21, 2018, http://americanarchive.org/catalog/cpb-aacip_514-9s1kh0fp9c.
- MLA: “Firing Line with William F. Buckley Jr.; S0401; Presidential Hopeful: Ronald Reagan.” 1980-01-14. Hoover Institution Library & Archives, Stanford University, American Archive of Public Broadcasting (WGBH and the Library of Congress), Boston, MA and Washington, DC. Web. November 21, 2018. <http://americanarchive.org/catalog/cpb-aacip_514-9s1kh0fp9c>.
- APA: Firing Line with William F. Buckley Jr.; S0401; Presidential Hopeful: Ronald Reagan. Boston, MA: Hoover Institution Library & Archives, Stanford University, American Archive of Public Broadcasting (WGBH and the Library of Congress), Boston, MA and Washington, DC. Retrieved from http://americanarchive.org/catalog/cpb-aacip_514-9s1kh0fp9c