The Civil War; Interview with Daisy Turner
- The Civil War
- Raw Footage
- Interview with Daisy Turner
- Producing Organization
- Florentine Films/American Documentary, Inc.
- Ken Burns - Florentine Films
- Contributing Organization
- Ken Burns - Florentine Films (Walpole, New Hampshire)
- AAPB ID
If you have more information about this item than what is given here, we want to know! Contact us, indicating the AAPB ID (cpb-aacip/509-6h4cn6zm21).
- This is raw footage of an interview that Ken Burns conducted with Daisy Turner, the daughter of a man who had been a slave. The interview takes place in Springfield, VT on May 21, 1987. Throughout the interview, Turner explains that she believes the Civil War necessarily had to take place in order for slaves to secure their freedom. Daisy recounts her family history as well, relating several times to family stories that have a connection with the events of the Civil War. Notably, she is able to recite from memory several poems and hymns, such as the anonymous poem ?Dear Madam.?
- Editor's note: Content given off the record was edited out of this footage.
- Asset type
- Raw Footage
- Copyright 1989, Kenneth Lauren Burns All Rights Reserved
- Media type
- Moving Image
Copyright Holder: Florentine Films
Director: Ken Burns
Interviewee: Daisy Turner
Producing Organization: Florentine Films/American Documentary, Inc.
Producing Organization: Ken Burns - Florentine Films
- AAPB Contributor Holdings
Ken Burns - Florentine Films
Identifier: Daisy_Turner_master (AAPB Inventory ID)
Generation: Preservation Master
If you have a copy of this asset and would like us to add it to our catalog, please contact us.
- Chicago: “The Civil War; Interview with Daisy Turner,” 1987-05-21, Ken Burns - Florentine Films, American Archive of Public Broadcasting (WGBH and the Library of Congress), Boston, MA and Washington, DC, accessed January 16, 2019, http://americanarchive.org/catalog/cpb-aacip_509-6h4cn6zm21.
- MLA: “The Civil War; Interview with Daisy Turner.” 1987-05-21. Ken Burns - Florentine Films, American Archive of Public Broadcasting (WGBH and the Library of Congress), Boston, MA and Washington, DC. Web. January 16, 2019. <http://americanarchive.org/catalog/cpb-aacip_509-6h4cn6zm21>.
- APA: The Civil War; Interview with Daisy Turner. Boston, MA: Ken Burns - Florentine Films, American Archive of Public Broadcasting (WGBH and the Library of Congress), Boston, MA and Washington, DC. Retrieved from http://americanarchive.org/catalog/cpb-aacip_509-6h4cn6zm21