American Archive of Public Broadcasting
Search the AAPB
If you have more information about this item than what is given here, we want to know! Contact us, indicating the AAPB ID (cpb-aacip/43-4947ds3w).
- Contributing Organization
- Minnesota Public Radio (St. Paul, Minnesota)
- AAPB ID
- MPR Archive Catalog
- pbcore XML database UUID
- Dean Abrahamson, professor of Public Affairs and director of the Global Environmental Policy Project at the Humphrey Institute, answers listener questions about the latest developments in the global warming crisis, including research findings on the causes and impacts, and what, if anything, can be done about it. Dr. Abrahamson states that humans are releasing a number of gases, including carbon and methane, which are trapping heat in the atmosphere. He discusses the source of these emissions, which come primarily from the burning of fossil fuels and the burning of tropical forests. When asked about whether climate change is actually happening, Abrahamson reports that there is a scientific consensus, dating back for a number of years, that the greenhouse effect is real and that we are reaching a critical point. If nothing is done, he says, Earth will experience climatic changes within the next few decades, great than the earth has experienced for hundreds of thousands of years. This discussion took place in 1989, one year after James Hansen, who was at the time Director of the NASA Goddard Institute for Space Studies, became the first person to testify before Congress about anthropogenic, or human-induced, global warming.
- Asset type
- Minnesota Public Radio, Production Unit
- Abrahamson, Dean, University of Minnesota Humphrey Institute, Interviewee
- Minnesota Public Radio, Publisher
- MPR owned
- Media type
- Chicago: “Midday; Latest Developments in the Global Warming Crisis,” 1989-03-07, Minnesota Public Radio, American Archive of Public Broadcasting (WGBH and the Library of Congress), Boston, MA and Washington, DC, accessed March 24, 2017, http://americanarchive.org/catalog/cpb-aacip_43-4947ds3w.
- MLA: “Midday; Latest Developments in the Global Warming Crisis.” 1989-03-07. Minnesota Public Radio, American Archive of Public Broadcasting (WGBH and the Library of Congress), Boston, MA and Washington, DC. Web. March 24, 2017. <http://americanarchive.org/catalog/cpb-aacip_43-4947ds3w>.
- APA: Midday; Latest Developments in the Global Warming Crisis. Boston, MA: Minnesota Public Radio, American Archive of Public Broadcasting (WGBH and the Library of Congress), Boston, MA and Washington, DC. Retrieved from http://americanarchive.org/catalog/cpb-aacip_43-4947ds3w