An Integrated Project in Georgia
- An Integrated Project in Georgia
- Producing Organization
- KPFA (Radio station : Berkeley, Calif.)
- Contributing Organization
- Pacifica Radio Archives (North Hollywood, California)
- AAPB ID
If you have more information about this item than what is given here, we want to know! Contact us, indicating the AAPB ID (cpb-aacip/28-mk6542jr2r).
- Charles M. Sherrod, director of the Southwest Georgia Project, and Joe Pfister, a University of California graduate and a fieldworker for the project, talk with Elsa Knight Thompson about the project, which he characterizes as a grassroots organization developed out of the sit-ins by SNCC in 10 counties. Sherrod discusses the Albany Movement of 1961 and 1962, the first major initiative of the civil rights movement to try to desegregate an entire city, how the Southwest Georgia Project grew out of the Albany Movement and the attempt to develop an interracial autonomous regional group to confront black problems. Pfister discusses his experiences as a white member of the group. Topics include self-defense, a recent murder, the Black Power movement, an educational initiative, and what is needed for change. For information on the Southwest Georgia Project see, Stephen G. N. Tuck, Beyond Atlanta: The Struggle for Racial Equality in Georgia, 1940-1980 (Athens, GA: University of Georgia Press, 2001).
- Race discrimination--United States; Discrimination in housing--Georgia; Community organization--United States; African Americans--Civil rights--History
- Media type
Interviewee: Sherrod, Charles
Interviewee: Pfister, Joe
Interviewer: Thompson, Elsa Knight
Producing Organization: KPFA (Radio station : Berkeley, Calif.)
- AAPB Contributor Holdings
Pacifica Radio Archives
Identifier: 2848_D01 (Pacifica Radio Archives)
Format: 1/4 inch audio tape
Pacifica Radio Archives
Identifier: PRA_AAPP_BB1725_An_integrated_project_in_Georgia (Filename)
Generation: Master: preservation
If you have a copy of this asset and would like us to add it to our catalog, please contact us.
- Chicago: “An Integrated Project in Georgia,” 1968-05-17, Pacifica Radio Archives, American Archive of Public Broadcasting (WGBH and the Library of Congress), Boston, MA and Washington, DC, accessed January 16, 2019, http://americanarchive.org/catalog/cpb-aacip_28-mk6542jr2r.
- MLA: “An Integrated Project in Georgia.” 1968-05-17. Pacifica Radio Archives, American Archive of Public Broadcasting (WGBH and the Library of Congress), Boston, MA and Washington, DC. Web. January 16, 2019. <http://americanarchive.org/catalog/cpb-aacip_28-mk6542jr2r>.
- APA: An Integrated Project in Georgia. Boston, MA: Pacifica Radio Archives, American Archive of Public Broadcasting (WGBH and the Library of Congress), Boston, MA and Washington, DC. Retrieved from http://americanarchive.org/catalog/cpb-aacip_28-mk6542jr2r