American Archive of Public Broadcasting
Search the AAPB
If you have more information about this item than what is given here, we want to know! Contact us, indicating the AAPB ID (cpb-aacip/28-mk6542jr2r).
- An Integrated Project in Georgia
- Contributing Organization
- Pacifica Radio Archives (North Hollywood, California)
- AAPB ID
- Pacifica Radio Archives
- Charles M. Sherrod, director of the Southwest Georgia Project, and Joe Pfister, a University of California graduate and a fieldworker for the project, talk with Elsa Knight Thompson about the project, which he characterizes as a grassroots organization developed out of the sit-ins by SNCC in 10 counties. Sherrod discusses the Albany Movement of 1961 and 1962, the first major initiative of the civil rights movement to try to desegregate an entire city, how the Southwest Georgia Project grew out of the Albany Movement and the attempt to develop an interracial autonomous regional group to confront black problems. Pfister discusses his experiences as a white member of the group. Topics include self-defense, a recent murder, the Black Power movement, an educational initiative, and what is needed for change. For information on the Southwest Georgia Project see, Stephen G. N. Tuck, Beyond Atlanta: The Struggle for Racial Equality in Georgia, 1940-1980 (Athens, GA: University of Georgia Press, 2001).
- Race discrimination--United States; Discrimination in housing--Georgia; Community organization--United States; African Americans--Civil rights--History
- Sherrod, Charles, Interviewee
- Thompson, Elsa Knight, Interviewer
- Pfister, Joe, Interviewee
- Media type
- Chicago: “An Integrated Project in Georgia,” 1968-05-17, Pacifica Radio Archives, American Archive of Public Broadcasting (WGBH and the Library of Congress), Boston, MA and Washington, DC, accessed March 24, 2017, http://americanarchive.org/catalog/cpb-aacip_28-mk6542jr2r.
- MLA: “An Integrated Project in Georgia.” 1968-05-17. Pacifica Radio Archives, American Archive of Public Broadcasting (WGBH and the Library of Congress), Boston, MA and Washington, DC. Web. March 24, 2017. <http://americanarchive.org/catalog/cpb-aacip_28-mk6542jr2r>.
- APA: An Integrated Project in Georgia. Boston, MA: Pacifica Radio Archives, American Archive of Public Broadcasting (WGBH and the Library of Congress), Boston, MA and Washington, DC. Retrieved from http://americanarchive.org/catalog/cpb-aacip_28-mk6542jr2r