Walk to Freedom
- Walk to Freedom
- Producing Organization
- KPFA (Radio station : Berkeley, Calif.)
- Contributing Organization
- Pacifica Radio Archives (North Hollywood, California)
- AAPB ID
If you have more information about this item than what is given here, we want to know! Contact us, indicating the AAPB ID (cpb-aacip/28-m61bk17469).
- An audio documentary on the Albany Movement in Albany, Georgia, as a collaboration between local activists, the Student Nonviolent Coordinating Committee (SNCC), and the Southern Christian Leadership Conference (SCLC). It became the first major initiative of the civil rights movement to try to desegregate an entire city. The program features field recordings made by Guy Carawan and Alan Lomax. The documentary includes commentary by Charles Sherrod, a leader of the movement, a sermon by Rev. Ben Gay, and testimony by students and others who took part in the demonstrations, interspersed with freedom songs recorded on-site. Although the Albany Movement failed to achieve its goals by the time it disbanded in 1962, historians cite its influence on later movement actions in Georgia. The documentary was issued on LP as ?Freedom in the Air: A Documentary on Albany, Georgia, 1961-1962? by SNCC. For information on the Albany Movement, see Stephen G. N. Tuck, Beyond Atlanta: The Struggle for Racial Equality in Georgia,
- Civil rights demonstrations--Georgia--1960-1970; African Americans--Civil rights--History; Community organization--United States
- Media type
Producer: Carawan, Guy
Producer: Lomax, Alan, 1915-2002
Producing Organization: KPFA (Radio station : Berkeley, Calif.)
Speaker: Sherrod, Charles
Speaker: Gay, Ben, Rev.
- AAPB Contributor Holdings
Pacifica Radio Archives
Identifier: 2049_D01 (Pacifica Radio Archives)
Format: 1/4 inch audio tape
Pacifica Radio Archives
Identifier: PRA_AAPP_BB0270_Walk_to_freedom (Filename)
Generation: Master: preservation
If you have a copy of this asset and would like us to add it to our catalog, please contact us.
- Chicago: “Walk to Freedom,” 1961-00-00, Pacifica Radio Archives, American Archive of Public Broadcasting (WGBH and the Library of Congress), Boston, MA and Washington, DC, accessed April 21, 2019, http://americanarchive.org/catalog/cpb-aacip_28-m61bk17469.
- MLA: “Walk to Freedom.” 1961-00-00. Pacifica Radio Archives, American Archive of Public Broadcasting (WGBH and the Library of Congress), Boston, MA and Washington, DC. Web. April 21, 2019. <http://americanarchive.org/catalog/cpb-aacip_28-m61bk17469>.
- APA: Walk to Freedom. Boston, MA: Pacifica Radio Archives, American Archive of Public Broadcasting (WGBH and the Library of Congress), Boston, MA and Washington, DC. Retrieved from http://americanarchive.org/catalog/cpb-aacip_28-m61bk17469