Kidnapping in North Carolina
- Kidnapping in North Carolina
- Producing Organization
- KPFA (Radio station : Berkeley, Calif.)
- Contributing Organization
- Pacifica Radio Archives (North Hollywood, California)
- AAPB ID
If you have more information about this item than what is given here, we want to know! Contact us, indicating the AAPB ID (cpb-aacip/28-h707w67k6x).
- An interview with twenty-year-old John Lowery, a freedom rider who went to Monroe, North Carolina, along with 12 others to help with anti-segregation picketing, conducted by Elsa Knight Thompson and Mike Tigar. Lowery was indicted on the same kidnapping charge lodged against Robert Williams, the president of Union County's NAACP branch. Lowery gives a detailed account of the rioting on August 27, 1961, that led to the indictments. He discusses nonviolence as a tactic, the tendency of some southern African American communities to take up arms for protection, and the presence of the Ku Klux Klan in Monroe. For information on Robert Williams and John Lowery, see Timothy B. Tyson, Radio Free Dixie: Robert F. Williams & the Roots of Black Power (Chapel Hill: University of North Carolina Press, 1999).
- African Americans--Civil rights--History
- Media type
Interviewee: Lowery, John
Interviewer: Thompson, Elsa Knight
Interviewer: Tigar, Mike
Producing Organization: KPFA (Radio station : Berkeley, Calif.)
- AAPB Contributor Holdings
Pacifica Radio Archives
Identifier: 2014_D01 (Pacifica Radio Archives)
Format: 1/4 inch audio tape
Pacifica Radio Archives
Identifier: PRA_AAPP_BB0210_Kidnapping_in_North_Carolina (Filename)
Generation: Master: preservation
If you have a copy of this asset and would like us to add it to our catalog, please contact us.
- Chicago: “Kidnapping in North Carolina,” 1962-05-04, Pacifica Radio Archives, American Archive of Public Broadcasting (WGBH and the Library of Congress), Boston, MA and Washington, DC, accessed January 16, 2019, http://americanarchive.org/catalog/cpb-aacip_28-h707w67k6x.
- MLA: “Kidnapping in North Carolina.” 1962-05-04. Pacifica Radio Archives, American Archive of Public Broadcasting (WGBH and the Library of Congress), Boston, MA and Washington, DC. Web. January 16, 2019. <http://americanarchive.org/catalog/cpb-aacip_28-h707w67k6x>.
- APA: Kidnapping in North Carolina. Boston, MA: Pacifica Radio Archives, American Archive of Public Broadcasting (WGBH and the Library of Congress), Boston, MA and Washington, DC. Retrieved from http://americanarchive.org/catalog/cpb-aacip_28-h707w67k6x