National Native News Special Features
- Producing Organization
- Koahnic Broadcast Corporation
- Contributing Organization
- Koahnic Broadcast Corporation (Anchorage, Alaska)
- AAPB ID
If you have more information about this item than what is given here, we want to know! Contact us, indicating the AAPB ID (cpb-aacip/206-2259zzbn).
- The first segment reports on the growing protest environment at the largest Native American Cultural Festival, Red Earth in Oklahoma City. Native protestors would like more controlling interest over the profits of Red Earth in order to grow and aid the Native community. At the Minnesota Indian Women's Resource Center, chemical dependency is being treated with Native music, language, storytelling, and games in order to promote a healthier lifestyle. Mentors instill and revive the Native identities of the women and children at the center. The third segment explores the urban Ojibwe/Shawnee population in Detroit. The fourth segment reports on the tourist industry as it moves into Indian Country. The question of how oppositional values between Reservations and National Parks can be respected. The last segment explores the option of prep school for Native children as a culturally sensitive alternative to education.
- National Native News is a nationally broadcast news series that provides news for Native and non-Native Americans from a Native American perspective.
- Asset type
- No copyright statement in content
- Media type
Associate Producer: Hamilton, DeAnne
Copyright Holder: Koahnic Broadcast Corporation
Producer: Heimel, Steve
Producing Organization: Koahnic Broadcast Corporation
Reporter: Bell, Natalie
Reporter: Reyes, Catalina
Reporter: Schlagle, Scott
Reporter: Milnakov, Margo
- AAPB Contributor Holdings
Identifier: NNN07041994 (Program_Name_Data)
Format: 1/4 inch audio tape
Generation: Air Version
If you have a copy of this asset and would like us to add it to our catalog, please contact us.
- Chicago: “National Native News Special Features,” 1990-07-03, Koahnic Broadcast Corporation, American Archive of Public Broadcasting (WGBH and the Library of Congress), Boston, MA and Washington, DC, accessed April 19, 2019, http://americanarchive.org/catalog/cpb-aacip_206-2259zzbn.
- MLA: “National Native News Special Features.” 1990-07-03. Koahnic Broadcast Corporation, American Archive of Public Broadcasting (WGBH and the Library of Congress), Boston, MA and Washington, DC. Web. April 19, 2019. <http://americanarchive.org/catalog/cpb-aacip_206-2259zzbn>.
- APA: National Native News Special Features. Boston, MA: Koahnic Broadcast Corporation, American Archive of Public Broadcasting (WGBH and the Library of Congress), Boston, MA and Washington, DC. Retrieved from http://americanarchive.org/catalog/cpb-aacip_206-2259zzbn