The Evening Compass; Interview with Father William Joy at Charlestown housing project
This record is featured in “Protecting Places: Historic Preservation and Public Broadcasting.”
- The Evening Compass
- Contributing Organization
- WGBH (Boston, Massachusetts)
- AAPB ID
If you have more information about this item than what is given here, we want to know! Contact us, indicating the AAPB ID (cpb-aacip/15-9fx73x97).
- Paul deGive interviews Jim Cooney (Charlestown resident) about the Bunker Hill Housing Project near Bunker Hill Street in Charlestown. Cooney says that young people in the project are often blamed for problems caused by outsiders. DeGive talks to Father William Joy (St. Mary's Parish) about urban renewal in Charlestown, the construction of the Mystic-Tobin Bridge and conditions in the Bunker Hill Housing Project. Joy says that Charlestown has been torn apart by urban renewal; that many residents of the housing project are unemployed. DeGive interviews Danny Sullivan (project resident), a teenager who says that the bad reputation of the youth in the project is exaggerated and unfair. Sullivan says that anti-busing parents are fueling the emotions of the youth. Joy says that a great number of students from the projects are being bused out of Charlestown; that students from the wealthier parts of the neighborhood are enrolled in parochial schools. Joy faults the Catholic Church for being out of touch with the needs and problems of project residents.
- Boston (Mass.) History; Urban youth; public housing; Urban Renewal; Busing for school integration; race relations; Catholic Church. Archdiocese of Boston (Mass.); Charlestown (neighborhood); St. Mary?s Parish (Boston, Mass.)
- Rights Note:It is the responsibility of a production to investigate and re-clear all rights before re-use in any project.,Rights Type:All,Rights Credit:WGBH Educational Foundation,Rights Holder:WGBH Educational Foundation
- Rights Note:Media not to be released to Open Vault.,Rights Type:Web,Rights Credit:,Rights Holder:
- Media type
- Moving Image
Publisher: WGBH Educational Foundation
- AAPB Contributor Holdings
Identifier: fe36340f0bf4e26ac248dc4e9f565290e4cf4be7 (ArtesiaDAM UOI_ID)
If you have a copy of this asset and would like us to add it to our catalog, please contact us.
- Chicago: “The Evening Compass; Interview with Father William Joy at Charlestown housing project,” 1975-09-09, WGBH, American Archive of Public Broadcasting (WGBH and the Library of Congress), Boston, MA and Washington, DC, accessed April 18, 2019, http://americanarchive.org/catalog/cpb-aacip_15-9fx73x97.
- MLA: “The Evening Compass; Interview with Father William Joy at Charlestown housing project.” 1975-09-09. WGBH, American Archive of Public Broadcasting (WGBH and the Library of Congress), Boston, MA and Washington, DC. Web. April 18, 2019. <http://americanarchive.org/catalog/cpb-aacip_15-9fx73x97>.
- APA: The Evening Compass; Interview with Father William Joy at Charlestown housing project. Boston, MA: WGBH, American Archive of Public Broadcasting (WGBH and the Library of Congress), Boston, MA and Washington, DC. Retrieved from http://americanarchive.org/catalog/cpb-aacip_15-9fx73x97