Black Power Surveyed; Handful that We are in Mississippi: A Spectrum of Opinion in Mississippi
- Black Power Surveyed
- Producing Organization
- WGBH Educational Foundation
- Contributing Organization
- WGBH (Boston, Massachusetts)
- AAPB ID
If you have more information about this item than what is given here, we want to know! Contact us, indicating the AAPB ID (cpb-aacip/15-9cj87k60).
- This is the third part of a documentary study on black power conducted over one month by Frank White, an Oxford Rhodes scholar. (In previous segments, White investigated black power in Harlem, Bedford-Stuyvesant, and Washington, D.C.) In Whites hometown of Canton, MS, he interviews Mrs. Annie Devine, leader of the Madison County movement, formed in November 1963 to coordinate voter registration, voter education, and federal programs in conjunction with the Council of Federated Organizations (COFO) programs in the state. Mrs. Devine discusses the movement and James Merediths March Against Fear, between Memphis, TN, and Jackson, MS, during which Stokely Carmichael delivered a speech arguing for Black Power. In Canton, Meredith marchers were tear-gassed by state troopers. Rev. King, a white member of the faculty of Tougaloo College, discusses the Freedom Democratic Party and offers opinions on the significance of the Black Power movement. White also interviews a number of African Americans and whites.
- inner cities; Mississippi; African Americans Economic conditions; Black power; African Americans--Civil rights--History
- Rights Note:Not to be released to Open Vault.,Rights Type:Web,Rights Credit:,Rights Holder:
- Rights Note:It is the responsibility of a production to investigate and re-clear all rights before re-use in any project.,Rights Type:,Rights Credit:,Rights Holder:WGBH Educational Foundation
- Media type
Editor: Myers, Maureen
Interviewee: Devine, Annie
Interviewee: King, Rev.
Narrator: White, Frank
Producing Organization: WGBH Educational Foundation
Publisher: WGBH Educational Foundation
Writer: White, Frank
- AAPB Contributor Holdings
Identifier: ec86c20c6e085f058278beb66830c9b399c53c79 (ArtesiaDAM UOI_ID)
If you have a copy of this asset and would like us to add it to our catalog, please contact us.
- Chicago: “Black Power Surveyed; Handful that We are in Mississippi: A Spectrum of Opinion in Mississippi,” 1966-09-01, WGBH, American Archive of Public Broadcasting (WGBH and the Library of Congress), Boston, MA and Washington, DC, accessed November 19, 2018, http://americanarchive.org/catalog/cpb-aacip_15-9cj87k60.
- MLA: “Black Power Surveyed; Handful that We are in Mississippi: A Spectrum of Opinion in Mississippi.” 1966-09-01. WGBH, American Archive of Public Broadcasting (WGBH and the Library of Congress), Boston, MA and Washington, DC. Web. November 19, 2018. <http://americanarchive.org/catalog/cpb-aacip_15-9cj87k60>.
- APA: Black Power Surveyed; Handful that We are in Mississippi: A Spectrum of Opinion in Mississippi. Boston, MA: WGBH, American Archive of Public Broadcasting (WGBH and the Library of Congress), Boston, MA and Washington, DC. Retrieved from http://americanarchive.org/catalog/cpb-aacip_15-9cj87k60