Dateline St. Augustine; Part 8: A Day of Arrests
- Dateline St. Augustine
- Part 8: A Day of Arrests
- Producing Organization
- WGBH Educational Foundation
- Contributing Organization
- WGBH (Boston, Massachusetts)
- AAPB ID
If you have more information about this item than what is given here, we want to know! Contact us, indicating the AAPB ID (cpb-aacip/15-87brvgz0).
- This is the eighth in a series of news broadcasts covering the struggle for civil rights in St. Augustine, Florida, during March and April 1964. T. F. Conley reports on an arrest earlier that day of his colleague Ted Mascott during a mass demonstration by high school students. An actuality recording is played of encounters the previous day at two motel dining rooms that refused service to an interracial group, which included Mary Peabody, the mother of the governor of Massachusetts, and Dr. Robert Hayling, a local dentist and leader of the movement in St. Augustine. Mrs. Peabody speaks with Mascott and Conley in an exclusive interview. The next day, Governor Endicott Peabody of Massachusetts answers questions at a press conference held after his mother is arrested. A Yale student is interviewed just after he was released from jail following an arrest after he refused to leave a pharmacy lunchroom where he and an interracial group were denied service. Mrs. Peabodys arrest drew international attention to the protests in St. Augustine. For information on the arrest of Mrs. Peabody, see Taylor Branch, Pillar of Fire: America in the King Years, 1963-65 (New York: Simon & Schuster, 1998), 277-83.
- African Americans--Civil RIghts--History
- Media type
Producer: Mascott, Ted
Producing Organization: WGBH Educational Foundation
Production Unit: Radio
Reporter: Conley, T.F.
Reporter: Darren, Leslie
Reporter: Shaw, N. Arnold
- AAPB Contributor Holdings
Identifier: 64-0033-03-31-001 (WGBH Item ID)
Format: 1/4 inch audio tape
If you have a copy of this asset and would like us to add it to our catalog, please contact us.
- Chicago: “Dateline St. Augustine; Part 8: A Day of Arrests,” 1964-03-31, WGBH, American Archive of Public Broadcasting (WGBH and the Library of Congress), Boston, MA and Washington, DC, accessed March 21, 2019, http://americanarchive.org/catalog/cpb-aacip_15-87brvgz0.
- MLA: “Dateline St. Augustine; Part 8: A Day of Arrests.” 1964-03-31. WGBH, American Archive of Public Broadcasting (WGBH and the Library of Congress), Boston, MA and Washington, DC. Web. March 21, 2019. <http://americanarchive.org/catalog/cpb-aacip_15-87brvgz0>.
- APA: Dateline St. Augustine; Part 8: A Day of Arrests. Boston, MA: WGBH, American Archive of Public Broadcasting (WGBH and the Library of Congress), Boston, MA and Washington, DC. Retrieved from http://americanarchive.org/catalog/cpb-aacip_15-87brvgz0